Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so there is a GEORGEOUS yellow super half moon and he is priced at $29.99, he is young but is that too much for him?
I fell in love with him and can't keep him off my mind
I really want him but my mom thinks he's to pricey
Is he?
I want to take him home so badly!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
You should get him if you like him :)

30$ is a price for breeding / show quality(not a winner but one pretty enough to enter)

Anyway, doesn't matter what kind of housing he gets.. You will pay more for that then him.. Tell your mom not to save on the most important thing in the setup :p

·
Registered
318 Posts
You should get him if you like him :)

30$ is a price for breeding / show quality(not a winner but one pretty enough to enter)

Anyway, doesn't matter what kind of housing he gets.. You will pay more for that then him.. Tell your mom not to save on the most important thing in the setup :p
I agree (I think). If you're going to spend the money for a really nice fish, it's important to make sure you can afford proper housing as well. My auction and breeder fish are active swimmers, and they live in 2.5 and 5 gal tanks - heated and filtered of course!

Another cost to consider is shipping. I paid $40 CAD for overnight shipping of two fish from a breeder in my country, and $30 total for shipping and tranship fees for two AB fish recently.

·
Registered
781 Posts
In my opinion, it depends on the fish. Is it a show quality fish? I personally wouldn't spend that much on a fish unless:
1. I was planning on breeding
2. I was wanting to buy a show quality betta

If the fish has messy fins, or any form of deformity, I would not pay $30 for it.
BUT, it is your money. Its YOUR decision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I GOT THE OK TO BUY HIM!!!
But the tank hasnt come in yet and the fish store only holds them for 48 hrs
I have a 1 gallon under gravel filter tank I used for a ADF but I don't have a heater... I was thinking the marina betta heater (11.99 at petsmart) because I want to buy him asapso he doesn't get sold to someone else but is that heater / setup ok to hold him in untill the 5 gallon arrives??

·
Registered
843 Posts
1 gallon is fine temporary housing. Just make sure he is in a warm place and you keep up water changes until his home arrives.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Congrats on the OK!! I hope you will post some pics of your new fish for us! ;-)

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I pay up to $50 per pair of bettas I order... and I don't have to deal with shipping costs so I can't imagine paying almost $100 per pair.

Is he an import or is he in your country? (Not sure where you live).

·
Registered
781 Posts
It sounds like the betta is from a petstore.
What kind of store is it? Buying a betta that expensive from a pet store would make me a little unsure, as most pet stores take less than adequate care of their fish...

·
Registered
691 Posts
If he is a pet-store betta then I think the pricing is spot-on ;o though you have to take a really good look at the fins, since store-bought long-finned bettas tend to have slightly 'warped' fins from being cramped in a cup

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I wouldn't waste any more money on a 7.5 "betta" heater. It's fine for the adf if you're going to keep that alone in the 1g but for the betta, buy what heater you're going to get for the regular tank which betta will be housed in. My 7.5 worked perfectly for only a few months before it burned out. I admit to keeping a 10w now but it's not as reliable as my 25w. They're cheap bc they don't last long. But again, up to you! If it's really only temp you could get a space heater and warm up a room to keep him until the tank comes in :)
Can't wait to see pics!!
Some of the bettas at one lps are pricey bc they come in from Singapore so shipping costs are incorporated. They live in small .5g bowls and cubes until they're bought.. They had a crimson "plakat" for 40$ o_O

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!
He's from my LFS tropic isle aquarium and they take good care of their fish (I have been going there for 10 years)
OF COURSE I'LL SHOW PICS!! He was deemed show quality so maybe I'll put him in a show?!

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
You should only enter bettas into shows that you have bred. Also you'd have to know the IBC standards and be a member to actually gain points.

I highly doubt he's show quality. It's probably just marketing to get more money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should only enter bettas into shows that you have bred. Also you'd have to know the IBC standards and be a member to actually gain points.

I highly doubt he's show quality. It's probably just marketing to get more money.
I was just kidding about actually showing him :) but he is beautiful young and from what I saw no fin damage he's still growing tho maybe if I post a pic when he arrives you can tell me more about him?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.