Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I bought my betta fish few weeks back. This is actually my 2nd betta fish, I lost the 1st one as it suffered fin rot, which I was not aware of.
Now that I am aware of severity of fin rot, I do not want to take chances on my 2nd betta fish.
Apparently it's developing some kind of white edges on its fin. Can someone explain me what it is? Is it going to become a fin rot!?

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Please be so kind and fill out the form linked below and copy& paste it to this thread.
So everyone will have all relevant information at a glance and you will get the best answers.
If you can also add a before picture and some clear pictures from now.
Thank you - this will help tremendously!

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
and give him a bigger tank
Bowls are nice! The poster just needs to add a few things, like a filter and heater. Probably at least 1 tall plant. If the original poster fills out the form I think we can help them get set up for long term success.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Most bowls are fine as long as they are 2.5+ gals. The .5 and 1 gal bowls can distort their vision from what I have heard and are hard to maintain a steady cycle.

Many people disagree with me on the whole 2.5 gal minimum thing, and that is definitely okay. Space really isn't an issue, if I put my fish now in a 1 gal with all their old tank decor he probably wouldn't care. The main reason I say 2.5 gal minimum is that is the smallest I have seen to be able to hold a steady cycle. You definitely can use a 1-2 gal, but daily water changes, testing of the water, and using prime are a necessity and no one really wants to do that.

Also this is merely personal opinion, if others disagree and their betta is happy and healthy then that is all that matters :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts