Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

It would appear that I have a male Betta with a case of Dropsy. What’s confusing me is that he has been this way for weeks now (at least 3) with minimal change in symptoms. The only difference I’m seeing is that he is no longer hovering at the surface and mouth breathing. In all honesty, I’d rather have him cross the rainbow bridge if he’s suffering in any way.

Information below relates to his hospital tank only. He was in a community tank with shrimp and tetras but his old tank-mates are symptom free and remain so.

How long is it reasonable to expect a recovery? I know recovery is not guaranteed but if he’s not going to, I’d rather haul out the clove oil :(

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 7
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Not in his hospital tank

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day, 3 to 4 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 30% to 40%
What is the source of your water? Tap (conditioned)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? No substrate in hospital tank but do vacuum main tank.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.025
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.8
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH): 4

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks ago. He’s been in quarantine for 2.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bloat on the belly and side. Pale scales around bloated area.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Laying on side, less swimming around, was surface breathing (now stopped).
Is your Betta still eating? Yes. Voraciously so!
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Have dosed with Kanaplex but have now reached 3 recommended doses and have stopped. Have added aquarium salt to the water (a teaspoon per gallon)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Going on 2 years.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Other than being very small, no.

So to summarise, bloat still very prominent and laying on his side still. He seems to be able to swim to the surface to eat but then seem exhausted after. Do I continue to keep him quarantined in his salt water and for how much longer? At what point do I pull the plug?

Thanks so much!
9D8FE621-2004-4240-B2AA-DAF595BEEBF8.jpeg
3D931D42-E410-4C98-B613-972BC8129352.jpeg

·
Registered
814 Posts
In my experience with dropsy it hits hard and the fish never last more than a few days. This may be a case of internal parasites. Have you added new fish or snails to his main tank? You could try an anti parasite med as a last ditch effort. Your boy looks like he is in sad shape. I’m sorry you’re going through this. I don’t blame you for considering pulling the plug. It’s hard for me to watch my pets go through anything like this as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience with dropsy it hits hard and the fish never last more than a few days. This may be a case of internal parasites. Have you added new fish or snails to his main tank? You could try an anti parasite med as a last ditch effort. Your boy looks like he is in sad shape. I’m sorry you’re going through this. I don’t blame you for considering pulling the plug. It’s hard for me to watch my pets go through anything like this as well.
Never thought of parasites! Have some Paraguard in the cupboard. Will give it a try. The only new edition to my main tank was a plant a few weeks back. I did do bleach-solution bath on it though :unsure:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hmmm, I haven’t had to treat anyone for internal parasites before but if it was dropsy I don’t think he would last three weeks with it. Aquarium salt might make the bloating worse. Have your tried the Epsom salt bath idea? Plain Epsom salt is often used for Bloat in fish. You could try the Epsom salt bath and see if he poops. What his poop looks like and if you need to move on and try the paraguard meds. I’d really love a second opinion from other members, I’m not an expert on fish sickness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts