1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please help!! Is it velvet or ich?

(two photos of my sick fish provided)

Housing
What size is your tank? She’s in a one gallon quarantine tank.
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? She usually does, but I took it out today.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta Bio-Gold.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Three pellets twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TopFin tap water dechlorinator.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven’t.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I just got her like two weeks ago. She’s still as thin as when I got her. When I first got her she was like off white.. but then as I was driving home she turned bright red.. her color changes from off white to pink to red all the time.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No. She acts normal and has a good appetite.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? She’s always had these little dots since ive had her. She’s gotten more and more dots as time went on.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? She’s been like this since I’ve had her.
How old is your fish (approximately)? She’s a teeny baby. I’ve had her for several weeks.
--------------------------------------------

Okay, so the issue is that she has all theses little white dots on her and I'm not sure if its velvet or ich. How should I treat her??

thank you soooo much

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
The image links you used are file directory links (not internet links), so they aren't gonna work! You can either upload the pics somewhere and link to them that way, or use the 'Manage Attachments' bit on your post I think. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
That's looking like a pretty nasty velvet infection to me. Velvet has the appearance of dust, while ich has the appearance of grains of salt.

Complete darkness (I put a towel over the tank), heat, and a medication such as Seachem Cupramine are what I recommend for velvet. Velvet can kill fish very quickly and that looks like a significant infection. I would not waste my time with salt as I've found it does nothing.

Also, you have to finish the entire course of medication, even if the fish appears healthy. Velvet attaches itself to the gills and can 'hide' there and reinfect the fish if you don't eradicate it completely the first time.

Nasty parasite and I've lost many fish because of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's looking like a pretty nasty velvet infection to me. Velvet has the appearance of dust, while ich has the appearance of grains of salt.

Complete darkness (I put a towel over the tank), heat, and a medication such as Seachem Cupramine are what I recommend for velvet. Velvet can kill fish very quickly and that looks like a significant infection. I would not waste my time with salt as I've found it does nothing.

Also, you have to finish the entire course of medication, even if the fish appears healthy. Velvet attaches itself to the gills and can 'hide' there and reinfect the fish if you don't eradicate it completely the first time.

Nasty parasite and I've lost many fish because of it.
I have that medication on hand so I'll put it in tonight! Thanks for the reply! I've read online that you should put in like half of the instructed dosage because apparently it's a really dangerous medication.. but now I'm thinking that I should just go along with the instructions. What do you think?

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
It's not dangerous unless you overdose. I've used it on very young fish at the recommended dose and it's been fine. I wouldn't do half a dose as then you are likely not going to have a strong enough concentration to kill off the parasite.

I believe you also can't use it within 24-48 hours of using Seachem Prime (not sure if it's the same with other water conditioners) as this will cause it to become much more toxic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's not dangerous unless you overdose. I've used it on very young fish at the recommended dose and it's been fine. I wouldn't do half a dose as then you are likely not going to have a strong enough concentration to kill off the parasite.

I believe you also can't use it within 24-48 hours of using Seachem Prime (not sure if it's the same with other water conditioners) as this will cause it to become much more toxic.
I've had a towel over her tank all day (thinking that it was velvet) and when I checked on her just now almost all of the dots are gone!! But now she has this weird cottony stuff thats like hanging off of her. Should I change the water now since it seems like most of the velvet is gone, and then treat her after two days when I can? Or should I still treat her asap?

thank you so much for helping me

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
weird cottony stuff thats like hanging off of her.
That's Columnaris or Saprolegnia, and both are extremely nasty and hard to get rid of. Very deadly if not treated properly, and much much worse than velvet.

Turn the heat down to 75F. Bacterial infections thrive in warmer temps. Looking at the photo's you've provided, it looks extremely nasty, and now with the other bacterial infection going on you really need to act fast here.

Personally Id recommend 30 to 40 minute baths in a container with Methylene Blue (helps with velvet and bacterial infections). Treat the tank itself with both Furan 2 and Kanamycin.

Columnaris is highly contagious, so if you used anything from that tank in another tank, that tank too will need to be treated.

Soak all tools (nets, hoses used to water change etc.) in a bucket with water and Potassium Permanganate to disinfect them.

Continue treatment for up to two weeks after visual signs of the infection are gone.

·
Banned
688 Posts
More likely to be fungus than coloumnaris. The medication LittleBettaFish recommended to you should help get rid of it at the same time. And methylene blue alone does not get rid of velvet, with the aid of other medications it will. Salt does nothing. Turning up the temperature will increase the breeding cycle and once it looks for a host, thats when the meds will kill it. And keep the tank as dark as you can as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts