Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just got my first betta, Kratos, almost a week ago. He's been in his 10 gal tank for 3 days. At first he seemed to be having a hard time with the filter being too strong, so i baffled it with 1/2 sponge on the inside and 1 sponge banded to where the water comes out. He swims around kind of jerky every now and then (like paces back and forth pretty fast) and I just saw him swimming in a pattern :shock:. He was going in a circle behind the heater, under the 1st suction cup, behind the heater, under the 1st suction cup and he did that for a bit then changed it up and went under the 2nd suction cup for a while. Is he just playing? (I've never had a fish before and it amazes me how smart he is...and my snail too) Is the fast pacing back and forth and the circle swimming normal or is the filter too strong still or is it something else?
He has a tiny bubble nest next to the heater where the water is still so maybe he's just happy??

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sumo does that too.. It's probably just his personality. I wouldn't worry about it, some of them are just chronic glass surfers and like doing funny things lol

·
Registered
520 Posts
Is the heater in turbulent area? It should be to spread out the heat evenly otherwise, it's no wonder your betta confines itself in the heater area where there is heat.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My chewie does that with the out flow of the filter... I have the pop bottle baffle and he swims in and out of it contantly... he likes it a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a bit confused about your reply Lupin, because i never said my betta was confined to the heater. (tank is at 80 degrees, heater is not in turbulence, and he swims all over the tank)

Seems like he was just playing a game of "loop around the suction cups". He likes to swim through tight spaces im noticing...and weaves in and out of the plants lol...so cute :3
Thanks peachesxo! I'm sure that's what it is...he's a quirky lil guy lol

·
Registered
884 Posts
He flares when he does it too its funny... Ill take a video of him doing it and post it next time i catch him.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Tango does the same thing, pretty much all day long. He flares at the back wall in between runs under the filter. Me and my husband watched him one night for a while. He seemed to be having a blast.

·
Registered
324 Posts
lol....that sounds very entertaining! Be sure to post a video.

I find I have to sit so far away from the tank to 'spy'..if I get close enough that they notice, the boys just beg...like dogs!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I ALMOST caught him doing it twice... once i ran over with my camera and he saw me so stopped and then the 2nd time i was in the middle of dinner.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe he thinks he is protecting his bubble nest from a foe :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm a bit confused about your reply Lupin, because i never said my betta was confined to the heater. (tank is at 80 degrees, heater is not in turbulence, and he swims all over the tank)

Seems like he was just playing a game of "loop around the suction cups". He likes to swim through tight spaces im noticing...and weaves in and out of the plants lol...so cute :3
Thanks peachesxo! I'm sure that's what it is...he's a quirky lil guy lol
Hmmm...I thought he was just sticking around the heater area. I guess there's nothing wrong with what he is doing.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I got 2 shorts vids of it... in the first one he plays chicken with it first lol. He usually only has one snail friend but I put them in there to clean out the other 5g... My daughter thought they would like popcorn so... yea Windu is in a temp 1g while i soak lol So they are temp housed with chewie lol

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/xxcjay18xx/Fish/?action=view&current=DSCF5229-1.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/xxcjay18xx/Fish/?action=view&current=DSCF5245.mp4

vid #2

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/xxcjay18xx/Fish/?action=view&current=DSCF5229-1.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg315/xxcjay18xx/Fish/?action=view&current=DSCF5243.mp4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its all good lupin =)
and cjay ur apple snail is huge! o_O
so cool how he darts around like that he does seem like he's having fun!...that's such a good idea ill have to film mine doing his thing and ill put it up so you guys can see...its really funny and kinda weird lol

thanks everyone..glad to know Kratos is ok and just doin what fish apparently do =D

·
Registered
884 Posts
I didn't even get him at his best lol, when he swims right through the filter baffel he flares like mad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts