Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I love aggressive Betta. I consider you a lucky keeper. You should cherish that. Most Betta, like from a fish store, are not that active. More plants and hides might relax him some. IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) has been suggested as a way of soothing them.

All fish are better off in a larger cycled tank.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...ssories/cycling-two-sentence-tutorial-506714/

Bubble nests are not a matter of comfort or happiness. Just an indicator of his desire to breed. Even aggressive fish can be lackluster in that department. We're all different.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
IAL will also lower your pH a bit, if your KH buffer isn't too strong. Other than that, cutting your tapwater with RO or distilled (these days distilled is Reverse Osmosis) will lower the KH and, along with it, the pH.

Prime water conditioner by Seachem detoxifies ammonia instantly. Dose 2-drops/gal/day as suggested in the tutorial.

As for the Fluval tank: many members here use them successfully. I prefer to build my own set-up from the bare tank on up rather than have to modify the filter or mess with the lighting to optimize it.

The Azoo Palm is a fine HOB appropriate to the tank -- cheap, quiet and adjustable. A sponge filter is ideal for a Betta tank.

A desk-lamp with a 6500K CFL works for me. There are a number of suitable LED rigs on the market.

There are other alternatives. These are just the ones I favor.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I just Googled Sera Aquatan. Because of the bad translation from the German (it's a German product), it is not clear to me that Aquatan detoxifies ammonia. This is important in an uncycled tank and/or if there is ammonia in your water supply.

Most of us use Prime water conditioner (by Seachem) because it detoxifies ammonia instantly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.