Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted 10 gallon tank that has been cycling without fish for the summer, and it has been about 2 months by now, so I hope it's ready:
pH= 7.6
High Range pH= 7.4
Ammonia= .25ppm
Nitrite= 0ppm
Nitrate= 5ppm

-> Is some Nitrate going to hurt my betta? How about the pH level?
-> The tank that my betta is currently living in has the same level of pH, so is it ok?
-> Do I introduce my betta into this new tank the same way as if I just brought him home from the shop? Like start to add water from the new tank into the old tank until he is comfortable with the new water?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your responses! :-D

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
-I would think at 2 months your tank would be cycled, but I would still check tomorrow. If your ammonia drops to 0, then your tank is cycled. The Nitrate isn't going to hurt your betta and the plants should soak up most of it anyway.
-The pH is fine as well. The pH level doesn't matter as much as keeping it constant for him.
-Yes, play it safe and acclimate him the same way you did as if you brought him home from the store. You could put him in his cup (if you still had it) and move him and acclimatize him.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you know why there is ammonia in the tank? Are you dropping in food, adding ammonia, or is it in your tap water? It really should be zero 24 hours after adding the ammonia source if you are completely cycled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Veloran and Straubrey for your replies.

Every time I checked my ammonia, it was never 0 for some reason. Just now, I did another water test, ammonia is finally 0 (Nitrite is still 0, but Nitrate is still around 5ppm). Straubrey, I think you are right, I tested my water soon after I added in about 2 gallons of water in the 10 gallon tank Tuesday night, so the ammonia level was not stable before.

->If I forget whether I add the water chlorine remover conditioner, can I add more now? Is 4 more drops of chlorine remover in 10 gallon tank going to hurt my fish in case if I did add it last time, but I add more now just in case?
->Is Nitrate safe? I have heard it has to be 0, but I also heard it's fine. At what level, it would be consider dangerous to my fish?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know about chlorine removal, since I have well water.

NitrAte is fine, as long as it's not crazy high. What level is too high depends on who you ask. I keep mine under 20 ppm. Nitrite should be zero.

Also, after adding your fish, check your water parameters daily. Even though my tank completed cycling fish less using pure ammonia, I still got a slight nitrite spike when I added my fish. Better to be safe than sorry! If you see levels of ammonia or nitrite going up you can just do a partial water change, and it will sort out.

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
You can add water conditioner if you forget, in fact, you probably should if you think you forget. I have Seachem Prime which they've stated is safe up to 5x the normal dosage so there's no issue with adding a few extra drops to be safe. I can't believe that any of the other water conditioners are that much different.

I can't tell you for sure what nitrate levels are dangerous, but if your tank is planted, it's highly doubtful that it'll ever get to a dangerous level if you keep an intelligent water change schedule.

You probably showed ammonia in your tank if you checked right after the water change. Your water probably is treated with chloramine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts