Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I’ve had this male betta for over a month now and he still glass surfs now and again and today i noticed his tail has big chunks missing on the ends :(
what is causing him to do this?
I have him set up in a 6 gallon tank with 2 large silk plants with big leaves and a soft rock cave which he uses occasionally. I also added 2 leaf beds with suction cups (one near the plants, and another close to the heater as he liked to sleep there or along the gravel at the bottom i’ve noticed too).
I am still completing my fish-in cycle and today my readings were:
Ammonia: 0
Nitirite: 0.25
Nitrate: 20
Temp.: 25.7 degrees C.
I do 25% water changes everyday and add 12 drops of Prime. I’ve tested my tap water and tank water and they are close / match in pH: 7-7.5 and I try get the temp. as close as I can too.
He suffered a little stress the first week I got him, but recovered amazingly and his fins were beautiful for 3 weeks they were growing and i could see transparent patches on the ends where the new fins had come in. Today, I woke up and saw his fins like this again :cry: (see picture attached)
Am I doing something wrong?

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
Yes he is biting his own fins. No you are not doing anything wrong. Sometimes we can figure out why they bite and sometimes we can’t. Can you post a picture of the entire tank? It is thought that those in tanks that have a lot of open space are more likely to bite. I would get some Indian almond leaves and put them in the tank. They have antibacterial and anti fungal properties and it also calms them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he is biting his own fins. No you are not doing anything wrong. Sometimes we can figure out why they bite and sometimes we can’t. Can you post a picture of the entire tank? It is thought that those in tanks that have a lot of open space are more likely to bite. I would get some Indian almond leaves and put them in the tank. They have antibacterial and anti fungal properties and it also calms them.
Hi, I have some Indian almond leaves. Will adding them affect my cycling process if I add them directly into his tank water?
Also, this is his tank set-up:

·
Registered
Akila and Atticus <3
586 Posts
IALs are very good and have beneficial properties. It will not mess up your cycle and they add natural tannins into the water, which turns it a light brown colour. It helps with stress!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts