Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,621 Posts
His tank is pretty sparse, he could be lacking stimulation or nervous about the open space. I would get a few more plants and create a more stimulating environment.

Some bettas are perfectly content in bare-bottom tanks with nothing more than some Java Fern to hide in, while others need a more enriched environment to thrive.

Also, some bettas don't utilise caves at all. I have pieces of PVC pipe in most of my males' tanks and although they all have been in them, they only really use them 5% of the time, if that.

Don't worry I killed my lucky bamboo too but my bettas are all doing well.

· Registered
10,621 Posts
I have active bettas that enjoy swimming almost constantly throughout the day, and then I have had bettas that constantly swim back and forth along the glass in an almost compulsive manner, sort of like pacing.

In my opinion, there is a difference between active, healthy swimming and glass surfing. I had a female that would incessantly swim back and forth along the back of her tank and only stopped once I moved her to a more stimulating environment. It never struck me as healthy as it always seemed very frantic and obsessive.

Although a lot of my tanks are fairly boring with maybe a handful of moss and some PVC pipe, my males are all in sight of either another male or female and so get a lot of mental enrichment. If the OP has the tank positioned somewhere there is not a lot of outside activity, it could be that her fish is 'bored' or slightly skittish.

If he doesn't stop glass-surfing after a week or so in his new tank, I would put in some more plants. I don't think long-term compulsive behaviours are healthy in any animal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.