Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my betta for a couple months now and a few days ago I decided to add a couple of cory catfish to his tank. I only bought two because I wanted to see if he was okay with them before I added more (I know they like to be in big groups). I have a ten gallon tank with sand, some plastic plants and one live plant. A couple weeks after I got my betta, I noticed his fins weren't as pretty as when I first got him. But he seemed happy and was always swimming so I thought he was fine. Now his fins seem a little frayed. After putting the cory catfish in the tank, my betta seems to stay closer to the bottom and is always resting on plants. He chased the cories a little in the beginning but now seems fine with them. But he still seems depressed. Or maybe he has fin damage? I've done some research on fin rot and I don't think it's that. Anybody have any ideas as to what's wrong with him? Or am I just freaking out over nothing?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hello, would mind filling out all these questions so we can get a better understanding of your betta and its environment? :)
What is your tank size?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Please fill out the questions RoseBud posted so we can help you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your tank size? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees usually
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Other type of aeration
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 cory catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once in the morning, once before bed

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I actually have not tested my water, but I am planning on getting a test kit tomorrow!
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins seem frayed and maybe missing a few pieces
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He used to swim around the top of the tank and now always stays on the bottom and always rests on plants
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple of days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, because I don't know what's wrong with him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)?
A few months, only got him about two months ago!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Can you attached a photo of this fins? (to attach at photo, click the "go advanced" button next to the "post quick reply" button. This will take you to a new window. Click on the paperclip icon at the top. A window will pop up, follow the instructions in the window to attach a photo).

Do they have any brown/black edges? Do they just look torn? Does it look like that something took a bit out of them?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep pictures would help. Usually to get them to the KB size that this forum accepts, I upload the photos to Facebook and that compresses them. Makes a 6MB photo down to the KB max. Also, be careful about your water parameters with Cory cats.

How strong is your filter? Is it strong enough to push your Betta?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first picture I took the first day I had him. I just took the other two pictures. Not sure if y'all can tell a big difference, but I have noticed a change. About the filter, it has a current that pushes him a little when he swims through it but other than that it doesn't bother him. But it does not have a speed setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I need you to try to get a close up photo of his fins. I would like to see what the "fraying" looks like.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
He looks okay to me. He is a crown tail, correct?

Do the edges of his fins look black/brown (like rot)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is a crowntail and no I don't see any discoloration. Thanks for your help! I hope I'm just overacting and nothing is actually wrong with him!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would keep a close eye on him and make sure that he is not ripping his fins on decorations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts