Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started a couple days ago when I was talking to him above the water, as usual. Then I noticed him move his side fins faster to prepare for a jump right at my face and almost completely out of the water. It happened today again; thought he might think my brown hair is his blood worm treat, but then he jumped at my hand when I fed him. Scared the #&@! out of me! Could he be trying to give a kiss or a bite? He seems otherwise normal and happy; bubble nest, too. Please help.
IMG_1111.JPG

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,957 Posts
It started a couple days ago when I was talking to him above the water, as usual. Then I noticed him move his side fins faster to prepare for a jump right at my face and almost completely out of the water. It happened today again; thought he might think my brown hair is his blood worm treat, but then he jumped at my hand when I fed him. Scared the #&@! out of me! Could he be trying to give a kiss or a bite? He seems otherwise normal and happy; bubble nest, too. Please help.
Since that is consistent, when we approach the tank they expect feeding. They are not human and do not understand we might just be honing in for a closer look. Anticipation makes them become more active and excited; sometimes even agitated. When they start darting or flaring or jumping or even appear to be biting it's just a natural reaction to the thought of food...even if you've just fed them :).

Betta will jump. Sometimes, instead of straight up, they will jump up and out. This is why a top or a water line at least two inches below the rim is required.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thankfully, I don't have any real jumpers. My Buddy (in my avatar) gets very excited when I approach his tank. He wags his body back and forth smacking his lips. When the food hits the water, he attacks it like a great white shark on a seal. Blackie, however, is a much more sophisticated diner. He simply swims back and forth, calmly and methodically consumes his food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts