Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Freedie (red halfmoon male), Lilly (blue round tail female), Ghost (white veiltail male)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Leaf Terrestrial plant Camouflage Grass Plant
Help, something is falling from my betta and I’ve never seen betta eggs so I don’t even know if that’s what these are. There’s no male around, she’s a female and has been in a tank with a divider (and another female betta on the other side) for several months with no issues.

I would assume they're eggs, but don’t those go into a male’s bubble nest? I looked up pictures to try to help, but I only got bubble nest pictures, so I can’t tell. I don’t have a male or a nest and I’m in a mild panic (in case you couldn’t tell) in case this is abnormal and she’s dying while having eggs or something. A bunch just fell onto her log but I can’t figure out how to add a second picture. I can if that helps any. But if they are eggs (which I'm still assuming they are), is she in danger because she's dropping a ton without a male?

Water levels are all within normal range, and nothing is happening to the other betta who shares the tank. She looks normal, no stripes or missing scales. She won’t eat anything and doesn’t even look at it. Only new thing I’ve done is add two real plants as opposed to plastic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi there! From what I’ve learned females can become eggy even without a male being present. They will either reabsorb them or lay and (sometimes eat them); they eggs will naturally fall as there is no male to put them anywhere. Some choose to siphon the eggs out if they don’t want their females having an extra snack or leaving them.
It sounds like she’s healthy from your description but it always helps to show a picture of the fish in question so our betta community can have more to work with 😃 hope this helped in some way.

·
Registered
Freedie (red halfmoon male), Lilly (blue round tail female), Ghost (white veiltail male)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there! From what I’ve learned females can become eggy even without a male being present. They will either reabsorb them or lay and (sometimes eat them); they eggs will naturally fall as there is no male to put them anywhere. Some choose to siphon the eggs out if they don’t want their females having an extra snack or leaving them.
It sounds like she’s healthy from your description but it always helps to show a picture of the fish in question so our betta community can have more to work with 😃 hope this helped in some way.
You’re my hero! I’ve been staring at her for the better part of an hour just to see if she’s okay, because she’s not acting like herself at all. She’s been hiding too, so this is the best picture I could get when she came out for a second. (Edit: she came to the front for a pic, so I managed a second one).
Her gills are going pretty fast, and I can still see eggs dropping. I tried to feed her again (which is what’s floating in the pic) but she won’t eat and is staying behind the heater or inside her floating log almost entirely.
Camouflage Plant Water Military camouflage Tree
Water Underwater Fin Organism Liquid

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
I‘d scoop the eggs out as far as you could without a haand if you don‘t have any other critters in the tank that feed on them.

I‘m sure she will be fine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She died overnight, everyone 😭😭😭😭😭.

There was nothing I could have done since I was posting this at midnight, so I couldn’t have gone to a store to get the medicine stuff, or anything, but she did die after all that was happening. If anyone knows why, that would be really comforting to understand, because I’ve had bettas before and this has never happened

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh my goodness! Wow. I’m sorry that has happened. hopefully we have an answer soon from someone more knowing. On the Betta Forum to investigate more they have us fill out this form which I’ve pasted below. Once completed you paste into your reply and then hopefully someone, once seeing your answers, can give a more concrete answer or idea into why she might’ve passed.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.”

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
I‘m so sorry for your loss.

I have no idea what happened to her.

I had girls dropping eggs without any issues.
Maybe we can still find out when getting your information from the form.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Feanor and Eli4Ever!, thank you both so much for all your help though! It seems like this was an uncommon thing, so I appreciate your help as it was happening ❤

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? -10gal with a divider in the center (so 5 and 5)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, only a filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? A second betta on the other side of a divider, and a snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra BettaMin and OmegaOne Betta Buffet
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Mostly pellets, occasional flakes to change it up
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day every other day/ Several pellets or a pinch of flakes

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Not often anymore because I was doing too many water changes and there was no good bacteria anymore, so the local fish store said to stop for a while, but did weekly water tests
What percentage of water did you change? Usually 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap with purifier additive
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both. Would vacuum maybe 1 out of 3 times
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I hope this is what you mean by this, but API Aquarium Salt, TopFin bacteria starter when needed, Tetra Easy Balance Ph regulator lliquid, or API proper ph. powder, Prime detoxifier, and occasionally BettaSafe water conditioner. I swap some out, and I use them for multiple tanks

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Note*- I didn't record exact numbers pre-death, but they were pretty similar to the water today after death except ammonia. Also, these are liquid test kits except hardiness and alkalinity, which I needed to use my emergency strips to test because I don't have a liquid test for that)

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm (the test kit color was yellow yesterday before she died though)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): between 0 and 25
Alkalinity (KH): between 80 and 120

Symptoms and Treatment: - (she's dead now, but this is the pre-death info)
When did you first notice the symptoms?- Happened within 24 hours
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?- She didn't change appearance until after death when she turned green and rotted VERY quickly)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?- Yes, she was EXTREMELY active and wouldn't even swim all day, just floating around the top of the tank as the eggs randomly fell. Her gills were also going very fast, which never happens with her
Is your Betta still eating?- She stopped eating
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?- N/A, she's dead, but I didn't have the chance to treat her because I didn't know if she was ill or just dropping eggs
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?- No
How long have you owned your Betta?- A little under a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?- Not that I was aware of

·
Registered
Sundance (Elephant Ear Betta), Johnny (Guinea pig), Kooky (Guinea pig)
117 Posts
Poor fishy...I'm sorry for your loss. I hope someone here can determine at least an idea of what happened. I mean I don't know much but from your info it seems everything was alright. That level of ammonia isn't great but not fatal. My tank is like that right now because of new substrate and my boy is fine. So sorry about your baby.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes it’s when a female is egg bound. It can be problematic for the female if they are neither absorbing or releasing them. That’s why this is interesting because the female seemed to be releasing just fine it seems. Hopefully we get better ideas in the future of what could have happened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry this is late to answer, but thank you all for the input! This was my second female betta ever, and the other is still alive, so I’ve never had this problem. I didn’t know anything about betta eggs or dropping them or even absorbing them, so this is all very helpful info for the future at least!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts