Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my betta on August 21st 2012 so I've had him for more than a year and lately he's been less active than usual. He's been sitting on the bottom of the tank. He'll come to the top of the tank and swim for a little while occasionally but then he keeps going back down. He's in a tilted/curved position when he's on the bottom. He's been eating but his responses seem a bit slower. Can someone please tell me if he might be sick and how to treat him. Would aquarium salt help?

I used to have pictures of him and his tank on my account but I don't see them anymore. He is in a 10-gallon tank with a filter and he has a heater which I keep at about 79 degrees F.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Looks like something is really wrong .I am leaving the house and will be back tomorrow so hopefully other members can help you. I will check on you tomorrow. But it would be very helpful if you will fill out a sticky and give us more information to figure out what is going on.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
As Anhel mentioned, more information will be really helpful! Also, please post photos, if you can.

In the meantime, I would start by doing a series of four 25% water changes. Wait at least 15 minutes between each.

Partial water changes never hurt, and often help. Doing these will help remove toxins, wastes, or pathogens etc that are in the water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
What size is your tank?
-10 gal

What temperature is your tank?
-79-80 degrees F

Does your tank have a filter?
-Yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
-No I don't think so

Is your tank heated?
-Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
-None

Food:
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
-Omega One Betta Pellets and Blood Worms as treats but rarely because he doesn't really like them.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
-2 pellets twice a day everyday except for Sunday because I fast him that day.
-Some days 3 pellets once.

Maintenance:
How often do you perform a water change?
I tend to do it when the water level gets lower in the tank because the water evaporates or something so once every 2-3 weeks? :/ I think I should be changing it once very week?

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
-50%
-25% if the water is already lower due to the evaporation

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
-Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
-Yes

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nitrite: I checked this a couple of days ago and it was 0ppm but now it's 0.25ppm. :/

Nitrate: 5.0ppm

pH:

Hardness: N/A (My kit doesn't have a test for this)
Alkalinity: N/A (My kit doesn't have a test for this)

Symptoms and Treatment:
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
-It kind of looks like one of his fins is a little grey.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
-He keeps sitting at the bottom of the tank. When I feed him he comes up quickly and he sometimes swims for a little bit but he has to keep sitting back at the bottom as if he's getting tired quickly.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
-About a few days ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
-Water change

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
-No

How old is your fish (approximately)?
-I've had him for a year and I'm not sure how old he was when I got him

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
i think the problem is that you was not doing enough water changes. Even though he was fine for a year or little longer, the fact that the water quality not really ideal for him finally get him sick.
I would continue doing water changes and see if he will get better. Your water parameters also on a high side and shows that you need to do more water changes.
Do 50 % water change as soon as you can and vacuum the gravel, rinse the filter media in the tank water(not in the tank of course). Do another 50% water changes about 2-4 hrs again, or as soon as you can. See if all those water changes will perk him up.
Let us know if he is better , worse, the same, or there is more symptoms developed . How is his fins still the same or got worse? Any other visual symptoms on the body?

I would buy Epsom and aquarium salt just so you have them on hand and you can use them right away if you need it. Aquarium salt you can buy at the pet store . Epsom salt you can buy at any pharmacy department. Epsom (unscented) 100% magnesium sulfate without any additives.

You saying that he is in tilted/curved position when he is on the bottom.Did you see recently his poop? Do you know if it white or broken white, clear stringy, wormy shape which will indicate internal parasites?
I would feed him daily 2 times a day now since he is sick and can refuse food any time. He need to be strong to fight whatever he has now. If you can buy frozen blood worms , not the one that you have but frozen from the freezer . Its has a lot of protein and very good for the immune system.
Give us an update

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh ok I will try that.

Nope I think his poop is fine. It's hard to find it but I'll check.

Ya I actually have the frozen blood worms. I'll try feeding him those again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update. I've been doing the water changes and the nitrite has gone down to 0ppm but the ammonia is still at 0.25ppm so I will continue to do the water changes. He does seem better though so thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Is he little bit more active at all? Watch for the symptoms like bloating, raised scales? Do you think he is constipated? When you do water changes do you see his poo? Is it normal color or white, clear, wormy shape?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts