Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: About a week ago I got back from a month long trip out of the country, my betta was left in care of a friend. Well I got back and the tank was filthy. Just bad. I think my friend over fed my fish (don't think he understood how little a betta needs) and the water was never changed. I didn't have a filter going at the time either so it was a disaster. I have Sharkbait (my betta) in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, and he now has a filter too. I know it's not recommended but the tank was so dirty I did a 100% water change. Sharkbait hasn't been swimming too much, and I'm not sure if the water change is the problem, or the poor water from before, or a mix of the two.

I'm concerned about him largely because this is a change in behavior from how I remember him. He'll sit at the bottom of his tank or inside his floating log for hours on end, only moving to get air and go back to his spot. He also seem to have some trouble swimming, almost like he has a rock tied to the end of his tail. If I go to the side of the tank he might greet me/might not (he always used to) but it's almost like he's too tired to swim for long, he'll soon rest at the bottom and watch me from there. I've just moved to a new apartment so I'm worried the tap water might have something to do with it. Also, since I did a full water change, I'm worried I'm seeing the effects of the nitrogen cycle?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? African Drawf Frog

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta flakes, Blood worms (once a week)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Usually once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ~ .25ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~ 10 ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 150 ppm
Alkalinity: 170 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Black marks on body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Always seems tired
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
He is probably stressed from living in the dirty water.

You did acclimate him after the 100% water change correct?

For now, I would do daily 50% water changes or a 50% water change every other day until he starts to perk up. the important thing that he is in clean water now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.