Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is Clyne, i was wondering if he has fin rot?
He got it when i received from a local store.
Had some Indian almond leaves and alder cones on the bottom of tank.
If it is, i guess i have to quarantine it to a salt bath and Indian almond leaves?

Also his eyes has some blue color on it, is that also a disease?
His right cheek has some redness (i think because on the first day he scratched some of the lava rocks i had, which now had been removed)

Pretty much he has all these conditions when i bought him (except the redness on the right cheek)
I didnt know much about betta diseases before.

Vertebrate Light Water Azure Organism
Plant Bird Organism Feather Terrestrial plant
Water Light Nature Natural environment Organism
Plant Light Botany Azure Natural environment
Vertebrate Water Pet supply Plant Organism

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 8 gallon (36L)
Does it have a filter? Yes, tank built in filter with carbon, mesh, purigen and matrix. 1 submerged air pump with diffused airflow.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78f (25.5 C)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 3x Ramhorn snails

Food:

What food brand do you use? Hikari, fluval bug bites, local freeze-dried blackworms
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Yes
Freeze-dried? Yes, black worms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once or twice a day, 5-10 for pellets, 1 small strip for flakes, 3-4 for freeze-dried worms, I gave live springtails too

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 3 days, but recently had ammonia spike, now its every 2 days.
What percentage of water did you change? 25-30%, when had ammonia spike, i did 80%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum the substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem prime, stability, Aqua one Stress coat, ammo lock, stress zyme, Conditioning salt (local brand)

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 (but recently got to 0.25ppm)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 - 5 ppm
pH: 6.6-7 (fluctuates around this)
Hardness (GH): 7dH
Alkalinity (KH): 8dH (went to 2dH because of the 80% water change, now stabilizes)

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? After bought from the store.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Not significantly, it looked slightly worse than before.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? I noticed he likes to glass surfing now, but active as usual
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, he seems to know the schedule
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Added more IAL, water changes, added API Stress Coat, and not overfeeding
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No idea, just got him 2 weeks ago
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 weeks, 12 days to be exact
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? It has the blackness on the fin tip, but he's very active when i saw in the store, therefore i chose him.

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Your beautiful Clyne doesn‘t have fin rot.

It looks as he was biting his fin a while ago. There are no proven reasons for that.

The clear tissue you can see is regrowth.

Your care is spot on - keep up with adding tannins (like the IAL you‘re already using) and your water changing schedule.

Your question concerning his eyes:
Some thick scaled Bettas like Dragons or Metallics can develop Snake or Diamond Eye.
Depending on how much of the eye and how densely it is covered by pigment (or guanophores, to be more precise), this can result in impaired vision to the extent of blindness.

As you are watching your fish closely, you would surely recognize any changes in behavior (locating food, dealing with obstacles in the tank). Should this happen, it‘s still possible to keep him happy without too much effort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome!

Your beautiful Clyne doesn‘t have fin rot.

It looks as he was biting his fin a while ago. There are no proven reasons for that.

The clear tissue you can see is regrowth.

Your care is spot on - keep up with adding tannins (like the IAL you‘re already using) and your water changing schedule.

Your question concerning his eyes:
Some thick scaled Bettas like Dragons or Metallics can develop Snake or Diamond Eye.
Depending on how much of the eye and how densely it is covered by pigment (or guanophores, to be more precise), this can result in impaired vision to the extent of blindness.

As you are watching your fish closely, you would surely recognize any changes in behavior (locating food, dealing with obstacles in the tank). Should this happen, it‘s still possible to keep him happy without too much effort.
Hi Feanor, thanks for the reply!

Glad that it's not a fin rot.
I was worried for a while - having to look information online has a lot of voices, but good way to learn nevertheless.. 😅

1 - 4 of 4 Posts