Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is still growing, I got it when it was just a baby, according to pictures, it seemed to be 8 weeks when I got him, now it's almost 10 weeks old. I wanted to feed him just enough so that he's full, because he is just a baby afterall. I feed him two pellets two times a day. I crush up the pellets because they are too big for him to eat. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,154 Posts
Young bettas, under 4 months, should be fed more to hopefully boost growth. Your little guy is not fat. He just has a full stomach....... not as full as my fry though.

Don't worry, he looks great.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Either its very fat, or constipated. It looks more liek the second, stop feeding for a day or 2 or till its belly goess down, cures both

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking this was a young one who had just had a nice meal!
You're right. I took these right after I fed him, as I look at him now, 7 hrs after I fed him, bloating has gone down a bit. I have recently changed diet to 2 pellets/2x a day. Before it was 3x a day/ 1 pellet.

In my next post I'll upload pics when he's not bloated. It's almost his feeding time, so I'll take his pics right before his dinner.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
fish need alot less than we think, he will be fine on 1 or 2 pellets a day tbh. they dont use calories for making heat which is where most f our calories go, so 1 or 2 a day is totally fine for them

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
no such thing as a fat betta :lol: there is constipated (sometimes with bloat, or leading to SBD), or stuffed :3 my females are pigs, and some of the faster ones get the bellies because they stole the ration from the others :roll: looks like a well fed adolescent betta.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here he is 7 hrs after I fed him. I decided to take pictures of him again because this is what he looks like when he's not bloated. Fed him 2 pellets this morning. Crushed them up and fed it to him. He is pretty happy when I give him that much. When I don't give him that much he tends to scour the gravel in search for fallen food -.- and I don't like it when he does that. Also, took it as a sign that he isn't full. He is a baby so that is partly why I feed him til he doesn't want anymore. Babies should get their bellies full and have whatever they need :-D There are people saying that I should only feed him 1 or 2 pellets a day, I don't feel comfortable with that because I feel like I'm neglecting him. Well, anyways, over next couple of days I'll update you on his diet and his weight. Thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
that's a good belly :) you use adult fish food? I have baby fry food, which is easier for them to eat, plus has lots of good stuff.

what you can do, is feed him over the course of the day (which after a certain age you wean them to 1-2 times a day feeding) spreading it out.... this will help a lot.

remember you are not neglecting! their bellies are the size of their eye.... and they will eat and eat and eat basically until their little tummies explode

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
From all the spawn logs I've read- that belly is fine for him.
Young betta are different from adults- they should have nice big tummies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
**PICTURE EDIT.
I DECIDED TO UPLOAD THESE AND TAKE DOWN THE LAST ONES B/C OF HORRIBLE LIGHTING. I thought that less light would show more realistic view of my fish. (I'm perfectionist, I'm sorry)

For those of you who are not wondering where those set of pics went, here you go. This is what he looks like when he's not bloated =) Your opinions are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Aww what a cutie. Babies should have big bellies. I think babies of all species should be a little chunky! It makes them cute!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on my fish...While I was changing the water in the fish bowl, my betta took a shadoobie in the cup. I admit, the water in the fish bowl was really dirty. So does this mean that my fish didn't take a shadoobie in fish bowl because it was so dirty?

When I put him back in the bowl, I realized that his belly got tremendously smaller. It was all because he needed to release! He looks so happy now. I just wonder how long he needed to but couldn't :-? Is it because I needed to clean his bowl more often? It is hard to clean out the leftover food parts, they usually end up at the bottom, so this time I took out the gravel. Also I have been feeding him brine shrimp. THere was no baby food to choose from. I crush it up, but the pieces are still too big and he spits it out til small enough to swallow.

Anyways! Happy that he is happy. I was thinking about fasting him because looked like his belly was about to explode!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
well since he is a baby I recommend water changes more often which will help in their growth and immune system. Not sure about the pooping haha. Sometimes stuff like stress (along with flaring, moving, etc) can make 'em poop

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Ok people who were saying to stop feeding him, let people with knowledge of young bettas answer.

He looks fine. Young bettas need a lot of food to grow correctly. I feed my fry with worms several times a day and I also feed BBS throughout the day.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I had mine fed on quite a few meals a day... my biggest fry were the fattest xD and the greediest! :lol: Fasting is better for adults... Like Mr Vampire said, the babies need food :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yes, they need lot's of food. They have a lot of growing to do in a short time frame. :D

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
yup =D For my bettas.... younger get more, older get less. So my older boys (like Shiloh) get less than the younger males, who get less than the babies... according to their size too of course (I wouldn't give 10 pieces of adult size food for the babies for instance xD)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts