Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are my Betta's ventral fins (I think they're called) torn??

I've had my fish for quite a few months now, and about a month or so ago I noticed his ventral fins looking a bit torn and there are bits of white on the tips of them but cannot recall if it has always been there or not. I also have a plastic artificial plant I am going to replace with a silk or real one. What do you think? If they're torn what should I do? Do I get some API Bettafix Remedy?
Please help me out, i'm quite stressed and anxious as my fish is one of my best friends and I don't want him to be in any pain

Attachments

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
He looks fine to me. The white tips are new growth.

IMO, you don't need to "treat" him with anything. Just keep him in clean, warm water, and feed him good food. He looks OK to me.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
His fins are having growth spurts in them. Fish from pet stores are usually just old enough to have their adult color but are young enough not to have their fins at full length.

The white are the spines which grow faster than the rest of the fin- the spines will fill in with flesh shortly and color soon after. You may also notice his tail fin will slowly get longer at this time too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could his pectoral fins (I think they're called) be growing too if they have clear-ish parts on the tips of them?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Clear parts are new growth. Betta fins tend to grow in clear and then develop color later on.

Give the fins time to strengthen and thicken up and then they will start to develop pigment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts