Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just purchased a betta from Petco today. He seemed fine in the store and was a pale grey color. He was pretty active compared to my other options so I didn't think he was sick. However, after only a couple of hours in his new tank (cycled 2.5 gallon with a filter and heater). He began to change colors? He has become more of a pale blue, and now has red fins. His gills have turned bright red and he appears to have some brown around his face area. Could he sick, or just adjusting to the new environment?
This is kind of he looked like when I brought him home (except he is a veil tail)
https://www.google.com/search?q=lig...igB&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=5h3ul1GLmnfCdM:

·
Registered
627 Posts
He is most likely doing far better in your tank than he was in the pet store. Bettas lose their color and turn grey when they are stressed. He is getting his colors back, which is a great sign. It's not uncommon to have bettas change colors and become more vibrant when you get them out of their tiny cups.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
He may also marble in later life, which means he may go from blue to white, or blue to navy.

Reactions: LittleStar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

Thank you to everyone who responded! After testing my waters, I realized my PH levels were a little high. But after adjusting that he seems to be perking up a bit more. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,820 Posts
Whatever you do, don't mess with the pH. Betta can get used to high pH better than they can fluctuating. Mine live in 8.0-8.2 with no healthy issues and others have Betta living in much higher.

I can take Betta week or more to get used to living in something besides a small cup. Give him time. He may have perked up because he's acclimating to his new environment and not because you lowered the pH.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow, really? The test kit I used recommended around 7.5, mine is currently at 7.7. I'll leave it there then!
I guess I'm just trying to find a reason for the brown spots appearing on his face, and the bright red gills:-?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Well... As a rule of thumb, don't listen to any of those fish-keeping tips or guides behind products boxes. Only listen to what they say about their own products (how to use it, what's in it, etc).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... As a rule of thumb, don't listen to any of those fish-keeping tips or guides behind products boxes. Only listen to what they say about their own products (how to use it, what's in it, etc).
ok, noted, thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, I just purchased a betta from Petco today. He seemed fine in the store and was a pale grey color. He was pretty active compared to my other options so I didn't think he was sick. However, after only a couple of hours in his new tank (cycled 2.5 gallon with a filter and heater). He began to change colors? He has become more of a pale blue, and now has red fins. His gills have turned bright red and he appears to have some brown around his face area. Could he sick, or just adjusting to the new environment?
This is kind of he looked like when I brought him home (except he is a veil tail)
https://www.google.com/search?q=lig...igB&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=5h3ul1GLmnfCdM:
Update:
This is a current picture

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts