Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male halfmoon tail betta in a 1.5 gallon tank and am moving him to a 10 gallon tank but want to make sure everything is good to go first. I set up the new tank four days ago so the water could go through a thorough filter cycle and the water levels and temp are stable. Here is what I have:

10 gallon tank filled with tap water that has been conditioned
2 types of live plants - Cryptocoryne Undulata and Amazon Sword
Wheel filter
Water heater
Thermometer stuck to the inside wall of the tank
Water temp at a stable 78 degrees
7.4 pH
<.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
<5 Nitrate

All water levels were tested using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. The < results are due to the color being between two colors on the test results card.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
What did you add to cycle the 10 gallon tank? Pure ammonia? I would do a big water change to get the ammonia to 0 and move your fish over. It's much healthier for him to be in the larger tank. Four days isn't usually long enough for a plain fishless cycle, but if you're already getting nitrates I'd assume you seeded the filter or used a bottled bacteria product?

If you're not already using Prime as your dechlorinator, I'd suggest getting some. It will help make the cycling process a little safer and easier on your little fishy, although very frequent water changes during the process will help too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I filled the tank, with 15 lbs of Flora Max Planted Aquarium Substrate for gravel already in, a little more than half way using tap water conditioned with Marineland Aquarium Conditioner; added the plants, filter, water heater, and thermometer; filled the tank the rest of the way using tap water conditioned with the same conditioner mentioned previously; let the cloudiness caused by the substrate subside overnight; turned on the filter the next day; and let the filter run for three days while monitoring daily the water levels (receiving the same results as my first post with the exception of the nitrate which has been at 0) and the temp. Not sure why the nitrate has gone up or why the ammonia isn't at zero. I'll do a water change today and test the water levels again tomorrow morning. Would a 50% water change be enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't read about the different cycles to set up the bio-filters. Last week I seeded some decor from the old tank and saw the ammonia rise to 2.0 and then fall to .5. The nitrite then rose to 2.0 but wasn't going down. I also did a 50% water change on Monday. I purchased the Tetra SafeStart last night and added it to the tank. I checked the levels again just a few minutes ago and received the following results:

pH 7.6
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

I'm acclimating him to the water temp now so he'll be in his new home today. I placed his little bowl next to the new tank and he's just staring into his new home. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts