Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently purchased this guy and am quite new to betta care. I'm curious as to why his tail is so ragged looking as I assume it's not supposed to be like that.
I believe the seller claimed he had damaged it some months ago and that it hasn't healed properly yet, so I'm wondering if he has fin rot?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is either fin rot or tail biting. Either way, I recommend doing 30% water changes every other day until it looks normal again. Then switch to weekly water changes to prevent fin rot from happening again. I also recommend feeding a couple frozen thawed bloodworms every other day to give him extra protein to grow back his fins. Also adding a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon could help. I hope your fish does well! If it makes you feel better, this is very common and either means your fish is biting his tail, got bit or ripped, or the previous water conditions were bad.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It doesn't look like any rot to me. In fact, I see a lot of healthy new growth. The problem with tail biters is that there are times when they've destroyed it enough that it never grows back proper. My last betta never regrew his tail like it had been prior to biting in the year after he stopped biting before he died. It was always just a bit ragged looking even though there were no new bites. I wouldn't medicate with anything as there are no raw edges and the clear new growth looks healthy.

Reactions: Rainbo

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would tend to agree it doesn't look like fin rot - as I don't see any signs of black. I agree with Lilypad that it seems more likely it's fin biting and nothing that right now needs any medication.

How bare is the tank? Sometimes they bite for stress reasons. Often it's just a mystery as to why they do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have recently purchased this guy and am quite new to betta care. I'm curious as to why his tail is so ragged looking as I assume it's not supposed to be like that.
I believe the seller claimed he had damaged it some months ago and that it hasn't healed properly yet, so I'm wondering if he has fin rot?

The fact that it’s not just his tail fin that looks tatty and there are no obvious tears makes me think that it is probably due to fin rot so had it at least had it at some point but it looks like it’s gone now. so basically just keep your tank clean and he’ll be better in no time.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
The fact that it’s not just his tail fin that looks tatty and there are no obvious tears makes me think that it is probably due to fin rot so had it at least had it at some point but it looks like it’s gone now. so basically just keep your tank clean and he’ll be better in no time.

Fin bitters can bite all their fins, not just the caudal (tail). Those u shapes that are missing from his fins are classic for fin biting.

Here's a picture of 2 of my bettas. The pink one is a fin bitter, and you can see how he's managed to bite his caudal and dorsal fins. The blue one I bought to save from fin rot. Notice how his fins are missing but not like the pink betta's are, blue betta's are just rotted away.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fin bitters can bite all their fins, not just the caudal (tail). Those u shapes that are missing from his fins are classic for fin biting.

That's actually really good to know. I received a practically finless betta two days ago and have been at a loss on if I should treat him or just keep his tank clean and stress free to allow for regrowth. I've noticed no discoloration on the edges and he's pretty young, so I'm pretty hopeful he'll bounce back, but I still worry.
Now I know what to look for when I get home. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts