Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank divided into 2 5 gallon tank. On one side is a 3 month old betta male, and on the other side is my 3 month betta female. My female is so active and shows healthy signs, she plays with the current of my filter, actively swims around constantly. My male on the other hand, he is not active and he barley eats as much as she does. Half the amount at least. I’m very worried about him being stressed and not eating or being active. He’ll swim around but not NEAR as much as her. For specifications: I have a hang in the back filter, one side is sucking the water and the females side is receiving the water so no whirl pool effect is in place. I keep my tank at approximately 80.4 degrees and that temp never moves. They are divided by mesh that is clouded so they can’t see eachother. Is something wrong ? Is there anything I can do. He has proper hiding spots . The temp is perfect and the water conditions I check every week. Any ideas why he’s not active? Or am I overthinking lol (I just really care about these two adoptions)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Can you post photos of the tank? Where have you placed the heater? Is the temperature the same on both sides? Does he also have a filter?

I have found treating each section as a separate tank with its own filter and heater works the best.
The heater is on his side, which is also the side the water is being sucked up so its very evenly distributed heat and I make sure with that thermometer. They share the same filter because her waste still manages to slip through the mesh

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You might think about switching and see if it makes a difference. Or, add a lot more plants to his side. Betta are not good in open water and do much better with 50%-75% planting. Some will tolerate an open tank but most do not.

There's a saying among those of us who've had Betta for donkey's years: If you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough plants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might think about switching and see if it makes a difference. Or, add a lot more plants to his side. Betta are not good in open water and do much better with 50%-75% planting. Some will tolerate an open tank but most do not.

There's a saying among those of us who've had Betta for donkey's years: If you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough plants.
That’s actually so funny, I added about 2 more large plants and he’s doing fine now even before I saw this post ! Thank you so much for the advice I appreciate you!!

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
830 Posts
Hi-side note. Are you adding ferts to the gravel? If not, the plants will die. I would suggest adding some root tabs or doing a planted tank substrate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi-side note. Are you adding ferts to the gravel? If not, the plants will die. I would suggest adding some root tabs or doing a planted tank substrate.
Hi thank you for replying! I’ve had over 5 tanks with gravel and have had no problem growing Amazon Sword (as it’s my favorite aquatic plant) without any added supplements. Amazon sword actually thrive in loose gravel! I don’t think plants require this especially in a tank that has been cycled, with the right water hardness, and consuming light 12 hours of the day. The plants that look dead towards the back are not, they are very healthy. They just grow read leaves (I forgot the name but it’s not an Amazon sword). Thank you for your advice though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thank you for replying! I’ve had over 5 tanks with gravel and have had no problem growing Amazon Sword (as it’s my favorite aquatic plant) without any added supplements. Amazon sword actually thrive in loose gravel! I don’t think plants require this especially in a tank that has been cycled, with the right water hardness, and consuming light 12 hours of the day. The plants that look dead towards the back are not, they are very healthy. They just grow read leaves (I forgot the name but it’s not an Amazon sword). Thank you for your advice though!
Red leaves** ooops!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I love Echinodorus/Swords. Check out E. Parviflorus. It only reaches about 6".

Years ago the owner of Bama Plants (who also cloned aquatic plants; including Swords and Anubias) told me the secret to growing the best Echinodorus is Iron supplementation. I added to both water column and substrate and was astonished that plants I had thought looked so good were capable of so much more. No more yellowing leaves; always a vibrant green. Substrates were gravel and sand.

I've tried but am not a fan of "plant" substrates. I didn't find they grew plants any better and after six months one needs to add ferts or change out the substrate. But that's just my notion. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.