Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 5 gallon set up with a heater and filter. The only small filter I could find at the pet store was the elite mini. Basically it's a suction cup filter with a small sponge in it for filtration. It has a built in aerator, but because it causes a strong current I've turned the aerator on very low.

What do you guys think? Is this filter adequate, or should I buy a new one?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I don't think there is as much of a current as you think....Even a strong looking bubble stream doesn't produce too much current....That's what I've just been told anyway....but I might have to see a video to help you, if that is at all possible...

ETA: it is a sponge filter, correct? Or does it just have a sponge on it?

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's an ok filter and gets the job done. I've used this filter in my 3 gallon betta tank and 2 of them , one on each side in a divided 10 gallon. I like that it has an adjustable flow rate and that you can move the outflow position.

Fff... It's an internal filter, not a sponge filter but uses a sponge for the filter media.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
It's an ok filter and gets the job done. I've used this filter in my 3 gallon betta tank and 2 of them , one on each side in a divided 10 gallon. I like that it has an adjustable flow rate and that you can move the outflow position.

Fff... It's an internal filter, not a sponge filter but uses a sponge for the filter media.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh okay. Is it driven by an air pump?

·
Registered
76 Posts
as long as its functioning correctly I'm sure its fine as bettas should be fine without a filter (as I've been told)

·
Registered
420 Posts
You should have a filter, unless you plan to change your water every day -- filter's necessary to hold cycling bacteria.

Yours should do fine.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
The Hagen Elite mini is an internal, impeller-driven power filter. I run three of them and like them a lot. The output is a little strong even on the low setting. My fish happen to like it. It has an air inlet tube which sucks air into the outflow to help aerate the nitrifying bacteria. They are quiet when new and get even quieter as they break in. The foam could be bigger, but it is an internal filter, after all. And, in a 5g tank, you'll have plenty of room for bacteria colonies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts