1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
366 Posts
it seems to be based on the reviews but its quite expensive. You could make a few with that price+shipping.... You got a walmart and michaels where you live? Or something equivalent... I made 2 for under $6

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in Australia so there are no walmarts or big pet stores like in America, but my LPS doesn't have any type of custom glass plastic or material dividers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it possible to make your own plastic or glass dividers?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without the plastic harming the fish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the past I have made partitions from Lexan (perspex)... Lexan is good because you can cut and drill it with normal hand tools.. As long as the lexan and the tools you cut it with are free from oil band other contaminents, then there should not be any issues...

I have also used glass from old, leaky fish tanks for partitions..

I once bought a plastic peg basket like the one pictured below, and used the plastic mesh section as a tank partition on a smaller tank..

Go into Bunnings and have a walk around and see what you can find..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ty, i think my mum will have a couple of old peg baskets lying around. Or maybe my dad could take me to bunnings next time he goes. XD ty for the help

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks itll help a lot. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
ok well then all you need to do is go to a store where they sell basic school supplies for the slide binders and then a craft store for the mesh.... Here's the site I used to make mine. It also shows pics so you now exactly what I'm talking about...
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-aquarium-tank-dividers-21866/
Thankyou for the link..

I had not considered this method, and I might try it out in my 15 gal, rather than the glass one that it has now.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The DIY divider in the link is easy, and with a bit of aquarium sealant, is quite safe. I have one in my own tank and haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wats the sealant for?

·
Registered
366 Posts
its like glue but safe for the tank... To keep the divider in place. If you use report sliders on all 4 sides you can go without the sealant. I'm not using it in my tank.... But you gotta do all 4 sides or it will slide around. Most packages come with 6 sliders. I didn't use the sealant cuz I take the divider out for cleanings.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh ok so its like silicone except aquarium safe. Ty

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mine is actually aquarium silicone. And I'd still recommend it for the dividers made with report covers. It keeps the holders in place, and is just safer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
its safe without it, just check on it every so often. There are tons of people on here that don't use the sealant. You just need to be sure you make it a good size where it bows a tad so its snug.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
K, i made the divider out of the peg basket idea i put it in the tank withput my fish and it works pretty good i just tie the sides to a paper clamp with string. Cant wait to get my new fish :D thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I feel safer with the sealant, not saying you can't do it without the sealant.

Glad you were able to find something that worked wolf, ps, we love photos when you get some boys, or girls in there :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill post some on this thread when i get her or him. I might be getting the fish tomorrow :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 23 Posts