Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My betta fish started to develop this tumor-looking thing on his back like a couple weeks ago. I believe they will grow bigger over time, and they did get bigger for sure. Did some research and it's either tumor removal or just leave it and give the best life. If I decide to remove the tumor..I'm wondering if it's best to remove the tumor when it's small right now or just wait until it gets bigger. Also, Betta is super healthy right now eats well and explores the tank, and has no issues swimming. I'm just sad there's a random tumor out of nowhere and if it ever gets bigger he will have a hard time living. Any suggestions on what I should do? He is a Dragon Scale Betta and I found out that these breeds are more prone to tumors... :(
I also had him for 3.5 months.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons sharing with another Betta total of 10 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 1 mystery snail per betta

Food:

What food brand do you use? TopFin Betta Crumbles, San Francisco Frozen bloodworms
Do you feed flakes or pellets? crumbles
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2-3 a day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30-40%
What is the source of your water? tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stress coat, TopFin Bacteria Starter, IAL sometimes when they are sick.

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6 ppm
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Plant Purple Organism Petal Terrestrial plant

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Members on this forum are not permitted to discuss or recommend any surgical procedures. There is not a lot that can be done for them otherwise, I usually leave alone them if they don't seem to be bothering the fish but with any skin issue I always add indian almond leaf.

Reminder to members, please wait for the form to be filled out before giving any advice! Thank you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most of the time small tumors don't affect quality of life, so I wouldn't worry about it if his behavior doesn't change and it isn't bloody. "Removing" a tumor will do significantly more harm than good, so definitely scrub your mind of that idea. Keep the water clean, healthy diet, and maybe add a IAL as Sara suggested, and if his behavior doesn't change he'll be a-okay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of the time small tumors don't affect quality of life, so I wouldn't worry about it if his behavior doesn't change and it isn't bloody. "Removing" a tumor will do significantly more harm than good, so definitely scrub your mind of that idea. Keep the water clean, healthy diet, and maybe add a IAL as Sara suggested, and if his behavior doesn't change he'll be a-okay.
If it stays small I don't mind but it's growing bigger which is the problem.. True, unless a professional fish vet removes it.. I think I will just leave him and take good care while he's healthy. Thanks for the feedback though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts