Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Nemo for a few years now and he is currently in a 1 gallon beta bowl with a green fake plant with red and clear colored gravel. He is near a window so he gets light from that and overhead. I don't know what brand of food I feed him but I think it's called beta pellets. Anyway it's in a small blue colored tube that has an adjustable lid so I can give him as much or as little food as I want. I feed a small amount of food in the morning and at night. I know I should have him in a bigger tank but my parents won't let me move him into my 5 gallon because they like to watch him. Also I currently have 1 hermit crab in my 5 g tank. In the near future I plan on getting him a hiding place so he doesn't feel like he is on display all the time. Once my hermit crab is gone I'll move Nemo into the 5 g tank ,get him more hiding spots, fake and live plants, a heater, and a low flow filter. Until then is this an ok setup?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
What kind of hermit crab? No hermit crab that I know of that is easy to get is suppose to be in water all the time besides the salt water ones, where did you get it?

Is the bowl heated is the better thing to worry about?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
So why is the hermit crab in the tank? You said it is a land hermit crab! Nevermind I miss read lol. I thought the hermit crab was in the bettas bowl.

For the setup is it heated? How many water changes and percentages do you do a week? How many pellets do you feed?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I wouldn't wait for the 5 gallon to get a heater. Bettas are tropical - he needs one now.

Pictures? Apart from the lack of heater, his tank sounds nice. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting better at cleaning Nemo's bowl. I clean it and do a complete water change every Saturday. So once a week. Not it is not heated. I'm trying to find another cage to put the hermit crab in so I can move Nemo into the 5 gallon asap. I think I will just wait to get the heater at a later time because my budget for all the betta supplies for the 5 g is 50 dollars including tax. If I have enough money left over or if my mom is willing to pay for it, I may go ahead and buy it. I probably won't be going to get the stuff until the last weekend in April. Next Mon. the 23rd is my b-day and so I will be spending some of my b-day money on this. Also I am going to be SUPER busy next weekend and won't have time to buy all the supplies. I will post pics of Nemo and his bowl once I get some pics of him uploaded.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is Nemo

Nemo's Bowl

Not a very good pic but Nemo Flaring up
These pics are not the best I think it's because my camera sucks at taking good pics but yall get the jist of it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Opps didn't work let me try again
This is Nemo
You will have to scroll down to see the other 3 pics of him and his bowl.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do you have photo bucket? It's the only way I know how to do it is to upload to photobucket then copy and paste the IMG code.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'll try that sense I do have a photo bucket account.
This is Nemo Flaring up

This is Nemo's bowl and his ping pong ball he likes to make bubble nests around

This is Nemo him self

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
He's nice, I like the bowl :) I agree a heater should be of top priority though. You can get them as cheap as 11$ at WalMart. Submersible and safe for 1gallon!

Do hermits climb? Bc if not, can you put the hermit crab in a small tray? Like something like a vegetable crisper (got the idea off Tiki!) or tote box. I thought hermit crabs liked to live in groups, but if you don't want to get more crabs you can maybe just get another cheap tank online? Classifieds and such usually have tanks for cheap. I got my 3g for free! In exchange for my 1g.

(what I did was post on kijiji that I had a 1g tank willing to trade for a larger one. The consession was that I gave my light, air stone, heater and some fake plants with the tank and all I wanted was a tank with nothing with it) I can't believe it worked but it's worth the shot!! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! For the hermit crab unfortunently I have him in his small iso tank until I either find him a bigger cage or another family. Which ever comes first. As for the heater next time I go to walmart with my mom I'll probably grab one while I'm there. Does walmart have submersible heaters for 5 g's around the same price? I might get that instead so that my 5 g is ready for my baby betta that I'm getting. Unfortunently my mom won't let me move Nemo into my 5 g because she likes watching him while we eat. I really wish I could put him into my 5 g but like I said my mom won't let me.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I'd also suggest removing some of the marbles to give him more swimming room and putting something across the top (clingfilm with holes in it is perfect) to prevent him from jumping. :) But yes, heater for him is the top priority.

Is there any way you could convince your mum that him having a bigger, warmer tank is more important than her being able to see him? After all, she would still be able to see him, just not while she eats.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really. She is almost impossible to talk anything into. I may remove some marbles to give him more swimming room when I get the time. (I have been very busy lately) As for the heater I don't know when the next time will be I go to walmart but when I do I will get the heater and a place for him to hide. Also Nemo is not the jumping type. I have never seen him try to jump before. I think it will be fine to just leave the top uncovered.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know it is a risk. My last betta, who sadly was unnamed, had to have a cover over his tank because he would try to jump. So yeah I know I'm taking a risk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts