Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
[Male] Twin-tail Half-moon Betta - Ryuu (竜)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my betta in November 20, 2020, so roughly around 2 days ago.

He's in a 10 Gallon tank with three snails: two mystery snails, and one nerite snail. He doesn't seem to bother them, and to be honest, seems to like to be near them. At first he did nip on one of the mystery snail's long antennas for a few times, but after that, he didn't bother anymore.

Today, he did this:
He did that twice, the first I didn't catch him but I thought he was dead; since he was in the same position like in the video when it ended. But on the first time, I was tapping the glass and he wasn't reacting for 3-4 seconds.

But after all that, he just gets up and goes back to normal?

So far his behaviour is to roam the bottom and top levels of the aquarium; sometimes checking on the snails and staying. He actually stays a lot at the bottom roaming, often checking out the caves and what the snails are doing.

Also, he likes to poke/rub against the glass, do you think he's possibly ill? He's not flaring or anything so it's not the reflection, he does it everywhere. But it's not glass surfing either, here's a video:

I would really appreciate some advice, thank you for reading!

·
Registered
Mr Garvey, male rose tail; A-aron, male betta, no-name; and male P. Clarkii rayfish
9 Posts
Your boy is lovely! While I couldn’t watch the first video, I did see the second one. I read that rubbing against the substrate COULD be a sign of stress. You’ve had him for only a few days, so perhaps he’s still getting used to his surroundings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your boy is lovely! While I couldn’t watch the first video, I did see the second one. I read that rubbing against the substrate COULD be a sign of stress. You’ve had him for only a few days, so perhaps he’s still getting used to his surroundings.
Thank you! So far the first behaviour has not happened (at least not on my watch), the second behaviour has been reduced by a lot as well.

I don't know much if this'll make a difference, but here's the first video:

It was kinda disturbing (especially at the ending) cause he literally looks dead TT^TT

But right now, all is well, thank you for the reply!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
He could have stunned himself going for whatever he thought was in the gravel. It can take 10 days or more for Betta to adjust to a new environment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He could have stunned himself going for whatever he thought was in the gravel. It can take 10 days or more for Betta to adjust to a new environment.
Ohh, that makes a lot of sense, thank youuuu, I'll stay put for 10 day as well then ^^

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
You are most welcome. And I forgot to mention what a gorgeous boy he is. You should share photos/screenshots in the Pictures sub-forum.

He sure did attack that substrate, didn't he???? I'm considering buying a Betta that is so feisty he could easily conk himself out the way he hits the "Betta in the glass." :) I'm sure he will eventually quit as will yours.

I always consider it is quite a change from a cup or small tank without filtration to what we give them. So patience is called for even when it's not easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are most welcome. And I forgot to mention what a gorgeous boy he is. You should share photos/screenshots in the Pictures sub-forum.

He sure did attack that substrate, didn't he???? I'm considering buying a Betta that is so feisty he could easily conk himself out the way he hits the "Betta in the glass." :) I'm sure he will eventually quit as will yours.

I always consider it is quite a change from a cup or small tank without filtration to what we give them. So patience is called for even when it's not easy.
Aww, I'll give my thanks for him as well XDDD once I get to know him more and get more good pictures of him; I'll for sure post some kind of "biography" of him XD

and yeah, Betta's are quite unique, too much personality that it worries me! XDDD He even sleeps like he's dead...

Aside from that, the Betta you mentioned sounds really interesting, if ever you do get him, please share as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts