Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. What is this white stuff on my moss ball? Is this something I can just rinse or scrape off, or is this something dangerous? I found a little on a piece of anacharis earlier and pinched it off, but now I'm seeing it elsewhere, and I am concerned. There are a couple of dots of it on the tank wall, as well. I haven't encountered anything that looks quite like it before.

Kind of hard to see it on the tank wall, but here it is - and of COURSE Mr. Kitty would pose when I'm not trying to get a picture of him. Ha!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I'll kindly call that moss snot, I've had it before, not sure exactly what it is but I know how to deal with it. Remove mr.moss ball and then suck up all the snot. "Wash" mr.moss in your sink under tap water squeezing and brushing him and patting him into a ball until he is all clean, then put him in a cup of clean cool water (chlorinated tap water) and do this daily for about a week.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, excellent. That's easy enough to do. Should I be worried about it showing up elsewhere in the tank, or just shrug and clean it up? For the life of me, it looks like spots of white bread mold.

Also, do I put my affected moss balls back in the tank after letting them soak in the clean water, or go through the week with them quarantined?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Clean it up, you wanna keep then in chlorinated water for a day or two, and do that "bath" to all your moss balls about once a week (I bathe my mosses every 2 weeks)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The marimos don't mind it, the fish do, and the snot hates chlorine.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's just aquarium "dust", you can rinse it off like the others said.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, wonder how I haven't encountered it before now. Gave 'em their first rinse, and I'll clean up the rest when I do the water change tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts