Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a beginner in fish keeping and over night I noticed that my betta's fins were torn like this in the picture. I read that it might be fin rot or decoration that might have damage its fins. There was a plastic plant in the fish tank that I removed immediately. I just want to be sure if it's fin rot or not and what to do if it is, please help.

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
It is not rot, he appears to be nipping his fins. Can you post a picture of the entire tank? We may be able to give some suggestions to get him to stop, sometimes they never do. If you can get some Indian almond leaf I would put some in the tank and keep the water very clean while he heals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not rot, he appears to be nipping his fins. Can you post a picture of the entire tank? We may be able to give some suggestions to get him to stop, sometimes they never do. If you can get some Indian almond leaf I would put some in the tank and keep the water very clean while he heals.
I thank you for your quick response! Its a 2.5 gallon tank (the orange plastic plant is not there anymore ) I thought of buying a bigger tank maybe there's not enough space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I'll get home from work I'll put more detailed pictures, for now this is the only one I have.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bettas can live in 2.5 gallon and many members here keep them in that size. You will find that it's often individual what kind of size a betta will thrive the most in; some of them just do better in smaller tanks and especially if they bite their fins. Having that said, you can always upgrade like you mentioned - but as long as you keep your water very clean he will be just fine in a 2.5G.

Fish that nip their fins usually do better with more plant cover. You can use either live or fake plants. If fake, make sure they are silk since plastic can snag their fins. You can also test all your décor by running nylon (pantyhose etc) over it. If it snags the nylon, it will snag his fins.

Since his fins have some damage now, I would add some Indian Almond Leaves - they are quite inexpensive and have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and calming effects for bettas. It will help him heal.

You mention being a beginner so if you have not cycled your tank yet, I would do that by following the guide below: It will keep him safe while cycling. I was advised to use it myself and it works great!

I can't tell if you have a heater/filter in there for him. They need filtered water and a temperature between 78-80 degrees, so I would invest in that if you don't. Please disregard if you already do - my vision is not terrific lol

And finally (I will stop typing shortly, I promise!) if you have any concerns or questions about fish keeping, you can always fill in the form I am linking below even though you were already told it is not fin rot. It has a lot of information in it that might help identify other areas that members could advise with if you are interested :)

He looks beautiful, by the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much his name is Ban :) it has been three weeks since I've adopted him.

I have bought the Api master test kit and I do water change every time the ammonia level rises to .25 ppm or above ( approximately 3 to 4 days for the past three weeks),no signs of nitrite or nitrate yet. Yesterday I did the water change and I noticed ammonia peaked to 1.0 ppm right before I did it.
It was about time I change the water. (50%)
I prepared a bucket of 10 gallons with the right amount of conditioner for tap water a week ago. So it's easier for me to do regular water changes. I have a filter with bio max as media and an air pump. Yesterday I replaced the plastic plant for a live plant now my betta tank has 3 live plant. It's pretty hot in my apartment and the water temperature doesn't go under 80° I have a heater still in the box just in case. Winter is coming soon and he will probably need it. I'm buying the Indian almond leaf tomorrow for sure and I will fill the form also !! I hope the Almond leaf will help him to heal and be more calm, maybe if I smooth the edges of his little house might be good as well because I noticed he can be a fast swimmer when he wants to go somewhere and maybe he could hurt himself around the little house. Thank you for your knowledge I will use it with care :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts