Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skeebo keeps staring at me, like this. <(0o0)>
So when I go up to his tank, and do this. ='}
He backs up, slightly, and does this weird quick flinching movement. then goes back up to the glass. He's also staying at the top a lot, he didn't used to do this when I had his toy in there.

Is he bored? He's always doing it when I'm home, but when we go to sleep he's in the corner of the tank sleeping too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ooh, like wiggling around? That's the "feed me" dance. Both my boys do it. Mine will flare and dance for me, thinking they are going to get fed everytime I go up to the tank. But sometimes I just go up to say hi :p

Is there a specific reason why you took his toy out? You could get more plants and more hiding spots for him to explore :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think his toy may be shredding his fins, so I took it out until I can get him a smoother one this weekend. Lol, He's been flinching at me so much when I go say hi to him and say his name. xD

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
If by flinching you mean sticking out his gills and undergill (called a "beard"), that's called "flaring." Sticking out his fins in a rigid fashion sometimes goes along with that.

Many keepers hold a mirror up to their fish for 5 minutes a couple times a day to make them flare in a defense against the fish in the mirror. It's good for their attitude and good exercise.

Betta occupy all levels. Being at the top is normal.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My fish all line up when I come into the room and watch my every move, hoping for food :p Bettas seem to know what's going on around them and take an interest in people, especially the person they know feeds them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.