Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my betta late december of last year(2013) and from then his color had darkened which I know is usually the case when you get a betta and don't know how old they are etc., and they haven't fully developed. When I got him he was blue and white, his white on his face turned dark brown/black and he was blue all over. But now, his color got light again, his face is almost white again, more of a dirty white, and his body and fins turned almost turquoise or a light blue. Is it normal for them to change colors twice like this?

·
Banned
580 Posts
i know as they get older the get darker but not the reverse -- and usually when they get light again they r stressed or sick cuz they lose color try turning up his temp in the tank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've turned the temp up to just about 80-81 and he seems to be swimming around more. I've been feeding a bit more also cause he looked skinny and I had stopped feeding everyday. His color is still light though. We'll see how he is in a few more days

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Could we have a picture? That darkness may have been a fungus that cleared up, he may have ammonia poisoning, ect, betta should be kept in 78-80 degree water at all times and (in a 2.5g tank) have 2 100% weekly water changes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is in a 14 gallon tank with a shrimp and 5 neon tetras. The ammonia levels and everything are fine. The temp was at 76-78 before. I'll get a pic soon.
He has darkened up some since turning the temp up and feeding more

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Try to get a good picture. If you have any before pictures, that would be good too.

He could be marbling, which is a process in which fish will slowly or suddenly change color. Sometimes it's subtle changes and others it's drastic. I have a fish who has pale fins and a light blue body. A few months later he's completely dark blue with hints of orange and red.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If he's in a clean, warm tank and otherwise acting fine, I agree that he's probably a marble! Consider yourself lucky. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.