Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm planning my 10 gallon tank and these were the fish I wanted to add. Just want your opinion.

:thankyou:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I had a similar "kind of" community tank like yours with 4 cories and 1 Betta. The Betta got very territorial and I had to divide my 10 gallon afterwards. Just giving you a heads up on that since its a possibility and has happened to me. It sounds Ok to me might wanna only keep 1 frog That's my opinion.

One other thing Betta's will go for everyone's food so there can also be a chance of over feeding it.

Those are my only concerns Hope some more Experienced people can give their opinions later on today since I do not know much about tetras and the frogs.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Sounds nice but that plan is overstocked for a 10 gallon tank I would think so lets allow others who deal with this issue weight in on what they think. Just by guessing I would say only one frog and maybe 4 little fish along with a Betta is all I would add to a 10 gallon and maybe even less. Good luck with your plans !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gn3ranger - Thanks for such a quick response! I'll definitely keep an eye on 'em if I end up getting corys. And I've also heard about the feeding, so I'd also make sure he wouldn't get over-fed. Thanks for the heads up.

Perseusmom - So maybe I should chose EITHER tetras or corys? I'll definitely keep that in mind when planning, thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? Chibi has some in his tank and they've been there for a month with no problem. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Neons should have at least 8 for a school for them to feel safe. 4 is minimum to some, but why don't keep most of our bettas at the minimum either. I would not do cories and just get a bunch more neons, like 5 or more. The ADFs have bad eye sight and feeding them with a betta is hard. They are much better to be in an ADF only tank so they don't have hard times getting food.

Do you have sand in the tank? Cories require sand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, I did not know they needed sand! This is just a plan for a tank I am getting soon, but wanted everyone's opinions and information first. I don't have the tank yet, so I can still get different substrate and what-not. :) (And I've read up on the cycle and know how long it takes.) So maybe just do a bunch of tetras and a betta? Are there any other type of fish that I could put in with a betta instead of corys or tetras?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If you are still thinking about ADFs, please read the thread in my signature, they take a lot of thought and planning, and pretty much all of those fish will eat all of their food if you are not careful, and will starve them. Just think really hard about it and be careful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for the link, it's exactly what I was looking for. Just a few questions since I wanted ADFs the most.

1) If I have a 10 gallon tank and the only thing I want to put in is ADFs, how many would you suggest?

2) If I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta, how many ADFs would you suggest putting in there?

Again, thank you so much and I will be reading through that thread for a while... :D

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Thank you so much for the link, it's exactly what I was looking for. Just a few questions since I wanted ADFs the most.

1) If I have a 10 gallon tank and the only thing I want to put in is ADFs, how many would you suggest?

2) If I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta, how many ADFs would you suggest putting in there?

Again, thank you so much and I will be reading through that thread for a while... :D
Gizmo is really a master at frogs as well. Lol. :) If you have a tank specifically for ADFs, I suggest 2-3 frogs. For a 10 gallon with a Betta, maximum is 2 frogs. I hope I helped you a bit, and remember to get DWARF frogs, not clawed. Clawed frogs are known to kill some tiny fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gizmo is really a master at frogs as well. Lol. :) If you have a tank specifically for ADFs, I suggest 2-3 frogs. For a 10 gallon with a Betta, maximum is 2 frogs. I hope I helped you a bit, and remember to get DWARF frogs, not clawed. Clawed frogs are known to kill some tiny fish.
Ah, I see!
My dad used to have one that I picked out when I was younger and he (the frog) did well, so ever since then I've wanted to get more.
And I'll definitely make sure I get the dwarf, not clawed ones.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My rule for ADF tank size, is roughly: (frogs-gallons) 1-3, 2-5, 3/4-10 and so on... With just frogs, in a ten gallon, it really depends on how you have it set up... With fake plants, I wouldn't do more than four at most... With a well cycled, live planted tank, you could easily do six... But that is only with frogs alone, with a betta in there, I would say three to a non planted, and four with live plants.

Easiest way to tell CLAWED from DWARF, look for webbed front feet. Clawed frogs don't have webbing and dwarfs do. :)

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You definitely helped! :D I was planning on putting some live and some fake. Moss balls, java moss, things that are easily cared for. And I'm definitely going to cycle it with the utmost care.

And thanks for the heads up on the webbing. :)

Any type of aquarium they do well in? Just rectangular, or round? Or does it matter? The one thing I am super worried about is them jumping out of the tank so I want to make sure I get the right set-up with the right lid. :/

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
They do best on tanks with a nice large footprint, so nothing too tall. A normal ten gallon tank would work just fine.

With is being a mixture of live and fake, I would treat it as a non planted tank, just until you have more live than fake. Lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They do best on tanks with a nice large footprint, so nothing too tall. A normal ten gallon tank would work just fine.

With is being a mixture of live and fake, I would treat it as a non planted tank, just until you have more live than fake. Lol
Ah, I see! I will definitely treat it as a non-planted then.

One more thing - Would mesh/screen tops work well so they don't jump out? And what kind of lighting do they need? (I've seen lights called moonlights, so I want to make sure I get the right kind.)

And thank you again. You've definitely helped me TONS. :-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts