• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my goldfish died recently and now my tank is empty. I am deciding, what fish should i get now. I would like to get betta fish. It's 25l (6.6gallon) tank, filter is electric and has a foam and some black little rocks inside (i am not sure what it is) and has a flow of 200l/hour. It also has air pump with airstone. The plants are fake plastic. the stones are from my backyard (properly desinfected and not sharp). the green pebbles are plastic too. Without heater the temperature is around 27°C (80° F). Please give me advice. Is it compatible tank for betta? What should I change?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, i forgot to mention, it has a glass lid and light, as you can see.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi

The actual tank is fine, But I think you have way too much filtration, You can easily remove the power head filter,

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

From what did your Goldfish die? If you don't know you will need to either sterilize the tank or let it run at least six weeks. If it is cycled and you choose to let it run for six weeks and you lose the snail, you will need to add fish food on occasion to keep the cycle going. Even at that, I would do an initial 100% water change.

Just as a precaution, do you know ppm of Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates? And the pH? Pet stores will usually test for free.

I would add a lot more plants because Betta are not comfortable in such an open environment. Silk seems to be kinder to Betta fins than plastic. The little black rocks in the filter are most likely carbon that needs to be changed monthly. In a five gallon you will need to do 25%-50% weekly water changes to keep parameters safe.

FWIW, I'm of the school you can never have too much filtration. :) So I would leave the filtration as is. There is no reason to remove the green/yellow rocks other than someone's sense of aesthetics.They are rocks, correct? Not those gel things? The big rocks I would remove as it is hard to remove all of the gunk that they trap and this can cause parameter problems.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi

FWIW, I'm of the school you can never have too much filtration.
I agree as long as we are not confusing filtration with flow, That power head is about 200 liters per hour and combined with the air stone will produce way too much current.

Members

If you are going to run an airstone then you may as well run a sponge filter, something like this is perfect.

The smallest one is perfect for tanks around 2 or 3 gallon.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Hi
I agree as long as we are not confusing filtration with flow, That power head is about 200 liters per hour and combined with the air stone will produce way too much current.
Nope, no confusion on my part. ;)

IME, unless the filter is run full-out, 52 GPH is not too high for a five gallon. The caveat is no matter the GPH, if a filter blows a fish all over the tank it is too much and should be remedied/reduced. So, do not get a filter that is not adjustable.

Used to run two filters in my tanks so should one conk out I always had a second cycled back-up. My husband disagreed. Said I ran two filters so my new tanks would have a cycled filter from the get-go. :unsure:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi

Cool a lot of people mistake flow rate with biological filtration when in reality you don't want the water going over the media and beneficial bacteria too fast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

• Hi

The actual tank is fine, But I think you have way too much filtration, You can easily remove the power head filter,
    Really? But the air pump isn't filtrating the water. It's just sends air to the air stone. Correct me if I am not right, but it only helps cycling the water in the tank, not filtrating it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the Forum!

From what did your Goldfish die? If you don't know you will need to either sterilize the tank or let it run at least six weeks. If it is cycled and you choose to let it run for six weeks and you lose the snail, you will need to add fish food on occasion to keep the cycle going. Even at that, I would do an initial 100% water change.

Just as a precaution, do you know ppm of Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates? And the pH? Pet stores will usually test for free.

I would add a lot more plants because Betta are not comfortable in such an open environment. Silk seems to be kinder to Betta fins than plastic. The little black rocks in the filter are most likely carbon that needs to be changed monthly. In a five gallon you will need to do 25%-50% weekly water changes to keep parameters safe.

FWIW, I'm of the school you can never have too much filtration. :) So I would leave the filtration as is. There is no reason to remove the green/yellow rocks other than someone's sense of aesthetics.They are rocks, correct? Not those gel things? The big rocks I would remove as it is hard to remove all of the gunk that they trap and this can cause parameter problems.
I am not exactly sure, but I think my goldfish died from swim bladder disease. I never tested my water for the ppm, nitrates etc. I will probably change the water because now during quarantine pet shops are closed, so I cannot buy betta very soon. I never changed the carbon, so that's probably one of the reasons my goldfish died, right? The green rocks are plastic, not gel and trust me, they look lot better in real life. For some reason I just cannot take good photograph of my tank. Should I remove the stones and put some substrate instead? So you think the filtration and water flow is OK? Thanks for the huge help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I made a list of things, I wanna buy: are these alright?
-gravel Aqua Excellent 0.5mm (to replace the stones and green pebbles)
-Bio Water conditioner Aquili 250ml
-Tetra BettaMin 100ml
-volcanic rocks (for decoration)
-some more fake plants

·
Registered
159 Posts

• Really? But the air pump isn't filtrating the water. It's just sends air to the air stone. Correct me if I am not right, but it only helps cycling the water in the tank, not filtrating it.
The air stone is still causing water movement.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Whether you change out the substrate is your option. It's your tank and if it pleases you then leave it as is. I would get a piece of airline tubing and when you do water changes, insert it down in the stones to vacuum out waste. And would also get a lot of silk plants so your new Betta has places to chill near the top of the tank and to provide shade.

I think your filtration and the air stone are fine; I have used that combination for years. My Betta will intentionally swim in and out of the air stone and bubble wands. As long as you don't ramp up the filter and air stone so they make swimming impossible for your Betta, you should be fine.

Keep in mind that the only thing written in stone in aquatics is nothing in aquatics is written in stone. We have differing opinions and experiences. I believe good water movement in all tanks is essential...as long as it does not blow the Betta or other fish all over the place. Others believe Betta should live in low-flow tanks. Neither view is wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whether you change out the substrate is your option. It's your tank and if it pleases you then leave it as is. I would get a piece of airline tubing and when you do water changes, insert it down in the stones to vacuum out waste. And would also get a lot of silk plants so your new Betta has places to chill near the top of the tank and to provide shade.

I think your filtration and the air stone are fine; I have used that combination for years. My Betta will intentionally swim in and out of the air stone and bubble wands. As long as you don't ramp up the filter and air stone so they make swimming impossible for your Betta, you should be fine.

Keep in mind that the only thing written in stone in aquatics is nothing in aquatics is written in stone. We have differing opinions and experiences. I believe good water movement in all tanks is essential...as long as it does not blow the Betta or other fish all over the place. Others believe Betta should live in low-flow tanks. Neither view is wrong.
Ok, thanks. The goldfish before was absolutely okay with the water flow, so I beliece Betta will be okay too. Would betta use this? US $1.66 10% OFF|Home Ornamental Plant Play Fake Hide With Base Aquarium Hammock Vivid Rest Spawning Betta Fish Decoration Simulation Leaf Tank|Decorations| | - AliExpress

1 - 16 of 16 Posts