Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am setting up my first tank and I'm having a little freak-out. I was planning on putting 6 ember tetra a male betta and a bottom feeder in this 10 gallon but im worried there is to much hardscape. Please give me your feedback!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello, I am setting up my first tank and I'm having a little freak-out. I was planning on putting 6 ember tetra a male betta and a bottom feeder in this 10 gallon but im worried there is to much hardscape. Please give me your feedback! View attachment 1025324
I personally believe that’s a perfectly fine amount of hard scape. With bettas, I find more is better, especially with tank mates. What bottom dwellers were you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally believe that’s a perfectly fine amount of hard scape. With bettas, I find more is better, especially with tank mates. What bottom dwellers were you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions? Also do you think that there is plenty of room for the embers?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think as long as the hard scapes aren’t too sharp it should be fine. I’d add some more plants tho. The betta is going to want a much heavier planted tank if he’s having tank mates IMO. Most bottom dwellers don’t do well with just one with the exception of pleco’s. If you are thinking cory’s they need 6 of their kind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think as long as the hard scapes aren’t too sharp it should be fine. I’d add some more plants tho. The betta is going to want a much heavier planted tank if he’s having tank mates IMO. Most bottom dwellers don’t do well with just one with the exception of pleco’s. If you are thinking cory’s they need 6 of their kind.
I have vallisneria and stellatus Octopus. I was hoping they would grow out and fill up a lot of space. The vallisneria is sprouting now after it melted. If that wont work what plants would you recommend?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Should be fine, if you want something thick until it grows out hornwort is a good option. I am terrible at plant keeping tho.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,012 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Habrosus/Salt and Pepper Cory would be good. If you can't get them let us know to which ones you have access.

The Ember Tetra would do best if 8-10 as they will be living with a predator.

You could try silk plants until the live ones grow in. A Betta community tank does best for all of the species if it is 50%-75% planted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, even smaller plecos like a bristlenose would need like 30 gal I feel. They just get too big.
I like the pygmy corys. I like that they arent flashy so the betta shouldnt be to interested. Do u think I could fit about 2-3 of those since they are very small?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am setting up my first tank and I'm having a little freak-out. I was planning on putting 6 ember tetra a male betta and a bottom feeder in this 10 gallon but im worried there is to much hardscape. Please give me your feedback! View attachment 1025324
Oh my goodness! Is this really your first tank?! I’m very impressed. I remember my first tanks and they were not as amazing. That should be fine for your betta! There are lots of hiding spots and some shady spots. Just be careful with the tetras cuz they can be fun nippers :)

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
335 Posts
I like the pygmy corys. I like that they arent flashy so the betta shouldnt be to interested. Do u think I could fit about 2-3 of those since they are very small?
Cories need to be in schools of 6 or more :)

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
You COULD put a baby bristlenose Pleco in a 10 Gallon. They don’t grow very fast but in 1-2 years you would need to upgrade your tank to a bigger size. most people get fish small with the intention of eventually getting bigger tanks and then never do. So before you bring home a pleco you have to ask yourself if your serious about getting a bigger tank down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
On a side note, I saw cory cats for the first time in person the other day. I have never saw the appeal of corys but they are seriously the cutest things I’ve seen in a loooong time. Unfortunately the pet store seemed to have ICH in most of their tanks. Which leads me to the whole “quarantine“ speech. whenever adding new fish to a tank you should definitely quarantine them for at least two weeks to be sure they aren’t sick. this is probably one of the hardest parts of doing a community tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On a side note, I saw cory cats for the first time in person the other day. I have never saw the appeal of corys but they are seriously the cutest things I’ve seen in a loooong time. Unfortunately the pet store seemed to have ICH in most of their tanks. Which leads me to the whole “quarantine“ speech. whenever adding new fish to a tank you should definitely quarantine them for at least two weeks to be sure they aren’t sick. this is probably one of the hardest parts of doing a community tank.
Do I still need to quarantine them if they all come from the same store?

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
It depends on how the store is set up. For instance at petco they have sections that run on one filter system in the bottom of the rack. So all together my petco has three fresh Water racks and one salt water rack. The three fresh water racks each have their own sump. Any tanks on that rack all have the same water running through the system and quarantining fish that all came from the same water system anyhow would be pointless. so when you go to your fish store ask what tanks run on The same water system you could get lucky and find fish all in the same water even if they are in separate tanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
I always quarantine them if the store doesn't. My LFS quarantines them for 2 weeks before sale so I feel ok putting them in my community tank. But anything from box pet stores I do my own quarantine.
I feel like because they are bottom dwellers you could probably put 6 Cory's in there and not be too over stocked. The 6 embers would and betta would be middle/top. Just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always quarantine them if the store doesn't. My LFS quarantines them for 2 weeks before sale so I feel ok putting them in my community tank. But anything from box pet stores I do my own quarantine.
I feel like because they are bottom dwellers you could probably put 6 Cory's in there and not be too over stocked. The 6 embers would and betta would be middle/top. Just my opinion tho.
Okay so you think 6 pygmy, 6 or more ember depending on the space, and a betta would be fine?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts