Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told that it was bad for males to be in sight of females if they werent going to be bred because the females would produce eggs and then die when they couldnt get rid of them... is that true? id like to start a sorority tank once i get another job and can afford it but would i need to keep the tanks out of sight from each other?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Females can but usually don't become what's called egg bound, they are in this state and can't release the eggs which eventually kills them. To lower this chance you coul easily just make us that the females aren't in sight of the males

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Females have unripe eggs in them all the time that they regularly will either drop and eat or not or reabsorb-it is rare for a female to become egg bound....
Once the female detects the males the eggs will start to ripen and she will start emitting pheromones, go through color changes and behavior changes as she gets ready to spawn-this triggers the male.....

Its not uncommon for the female poop to look white/creamy when she eats or reabsorbs the eggs for a few days-not to be confused with internal parasites.....

Not a problem for either to be in sight of each other or in the same water, however, sometimes it can make spawning more of a challenge later-but not always and nothing that a few days of isolation won't fix.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts