Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was out at class for an hour today(of course he waited for the one hour that I wouldn't be home)...my betta got through my divider. :-( But here's the strange part; they didn't fight!

Everywhere I read said they'd pretty much rip each other to shreds in a matter of minutes, but that isn't what happened.

Is there an explanation for this? I'm very curious now. Of course, I will never keep them together or anything like that, but I just found it so strange.

I suppose I should note that one of my boys is VERY submissive. My RT boy has been flaring at him ALL week and he has never flared back(or at anything). He always just looks at him and swims away. Can this be a part of why? When I found them, my HM was hiding in his tower and they were just looking at each other. Did they not fight because my HM immediately submitted? Do males do the whole "alpha fish" thing like females can?

I've inspected them both and neither are seriously injured. My HM has no injuries at all, and my RT has a small nip on his anal fin. Maybe two. Barely noticeable.

Just wondering if this is unusual or something?

·
Registered
627 Posts
It probably happened because you have enough hiding places in your tank for the submissive one to get away and hide. Bettas will not fight in nature like they will in captivity because the submissive one usually runs away before serious damage is done.

As you know, this wouldn't be permanent. It wouldn't take much to tip the balance- maybe something so little as the submissive one coming up for air in the dominant one's territory.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Betta were bred to fight until one retreated, your hm boy probably did submit right away and hid where the rosetail couldn't get him. Plus your rose tail was probably like "ooh new territory, what's this?"

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It probably happened because you have enough hiding places in your tank for the submissive one to get away and hide. Bettas will not fight in nature like they will in captivity because the submissive one usually runs away before serious damage is done.

As you know, this wouldn't be permanent. It wouldn't take much to tip the balance- maybe something so little as the submissive one coming up for air in the dominant one's territory.
This makes sense. Thank goodness I had those betta towers in there then. This time was just so lucky. I'm so glad neither one was hurt.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betta were bred to fight until one retreated, your hm boy probably did submit right away and hid where the rosetail couldn't get him. Plus your rose tail was probably like "ooh new territory, what's this?"
I didn't know that. That makes sense. I got confused since everywhere else says they were bred to fight to the death. But I suppose that would happen if neither backed down?

But yeah, the new space might've distracted him a bit. He is very curious. I'm mostly just happy neither of them were hurt. I think I'll be moving my RT into the more secure middle space until I get the space he was in sorted out.

·
Banned
688 Posts
It just depends on the individual fish. Some are more aggressive than others. I've had 3 of mine escape, and 2 of them fought to the death. I was asleep when it happened so i was too late. When i found them, the survivor had half his mouth ripped apart, lots of his scales were gone, his eye was damaged, most of his fins were gone. The one that died had worse damage. So yeah, it depends on the individual and how aggressive they are

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds awful. I'm sorry that happened to you. Honestly, that's exactly what I expected to see when I saw my RT was missing from his spot. I thought I'd find both of them mangled to pieces since I had been gone so long. I guess my HM backing down so easily could be what saved his life.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've had some escape and just do serious fin damage. However, my HM has gotten into someone else's side, and had an intruder, once with my very aggressive one, and both times both fish came out relatively unscathed.
I am beginning to wonder if HM's just aren't fighters and will hide instead.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's interesting. I'll be wondering about that too. My HM is definitely the calmest of my boys. I wonder if that really is more common for HMs to be less aggressive? Lovers not fighters? Lol.

·
Registered
562 Posts
With big fins like that, I think they're prone to be lazy. My old HM and CT are both less active compared to my male VT. The females with their small fins can jump twice as much as my adult male VT considering they're half his size.

I guess some heavier finned bettas can be quite aggressive too but from the ones I owned, they seem less inclined to that...

·
Registered
133 Posts
That happened to me once long ago. One figured out how to get through the divider. But neither fought. And it was in a small 2 gallon tank or something. I was amazed they didn't kill each other. And I don't recall any damage either. I think it was the same case for me in school and the tank was in my room so no one else to catch them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.