Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! I lost Omicron at the beginning of the summer, and it took until now for me to be able to look at the tank again and decide I wanted to see another betta in it. I'm planning to do better this time by upgrading my filter media and sand media, and getting more live plants. Debating whether I'll upgrade my 5 gal to the long 8 gal I saw on clearance the other day.... hm hm hm.

In the mean time, I am looking for the fish of my dreams. An orange & blue HMPK or PK, preferably with black edges on the fins but not required. A nice patchwork calico mixture of colors. Here are some examples of the kind of fish I like, all found on Aquabid:

AquaBid.com - Item # fwbettashmp1501465809 - HMPK ORANGE BLUE BLACK MONTER RYDER - Ends: Sun Jul 30 2017 - 08:50:09 PM CDT
AquaBid.com - Item # fwbettashmp1501683020 - HMPK ORANGE BLUE MONTER FANCY - Ends: Wed Aug 2 2017 - 09:10:20 AM CDT
AquaBid.com - Item # fwbettasct1501377611 - CT ORANGE BLUE FANCY - Ends: Sat Jul 29 2017 - 08:20:11 PM CDT
https://www.facebook.com/BettaBids/videos/1222611141095846/

As that last listing shows... I am also open to crowntails. Are crowntail plakats a thing?? Cause that would be sweet.

Anyway, I'd really much prefer to purchase from a US-based breeder than from abroad. I don't live near any major trans shippers so I don't want my fish suffering the stress of traveling halfway around the world, especially if I have to pay upwards of $60 after shipping and import fees!

Does anyone have any US-based breeders to recommend for this kind of fish?

I love to support other hobbyists, so if you'll be breeding these I will happily take a look at your spawn!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I've never had a personal experience but I've only heard good things about a transhipper Koo Yang. He also has a physical fish store in MN. I don't know if he sells betta that he breeds or imported, but I think it's worth to contact him. If he sells imported ones, there might be one looks like you found on AquaBid. Being a transhipper, he should be OK to ship fish he sells at the store.
https://www.facebook.com/Bettaworld09/

Good luck finding your dream betta :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey all! I found my guy..... from a local breeder in Pennsylvania! Check out Glee Bettas on Instagram and Facebook!

I've already named him Lazuli, short for lapis lazuli. Once my tank is set up and cycled I will have him sent my way!

I missed out on a very similar betta marking-wise on eBay because I hemmed and hawed too much and the auction got away from me. So when I set eyes on this guy, I responded to the seller within like 15 minutes of the betta being posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Pretty boy! He must have cost you a pretty penny... Due to shipping fee, time and a horrible USPS service in my area, I've never been adventurous to buy fish online.

I'm not an expert at all. However I know most of them are imported when I see betta in unique and beautiful colorations. I'm looking forward to see pictures of him to see how his colorations progress :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, he was not cheap with shipping, but according to other breeders he was priced reasonably. The breeder partners with a connection in Thailand. This guy was an import.

I've always been happy with my local USPS service, and since I'm only one state over it should be pretty fast. I've warned the local shipping distribution that a live animal will come through so they need to contact me asap when he does.

The betta in your avatar looks a lot like him! That's what I decided I really liked, blue with orange-peachy fins and a white or peachy mask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.