Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance. I could not get my image links to work to save my life so I just placed them in here.

I've had my half moon, Yukine since my boyfriend bought him for me as a Valentine's Day present. When I picked out this specific fish, he had an issue with damaged fins and being a first time Betta owner, I took the challenge of trying to help him grow them back.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
This image was the day after I got him.

He seemed fine for the first month or so until I notice that he had begun to develop a slight fin rot that I took care of quickly and since then his fins have slowly been developing nicely.

This image was him back at the beginning of the month, but when I happened to look at him last night, I've noticed that his back fin is started to recede once again

This was taken a moment ago. As you can see, his back fin is becoming ragged and I'm not too sure what's going on with my fishy friend.

I really hope that one day he'll have pretty fins like the Betta I just bought the other day, but for now, I can't help, but feel bad for him. Are there any suggestions for what I should do for the poor thing?

Here is the thing about my fish and his living quarters:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1.5
Does it have a filter? Yes.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What temperature is your tank? 88° F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? A horned nerite snail.

Food:
What food brand do you use? TetraMin for flakes, Aqua Culture for pellets.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes for six days, pellets for one.
Freeze-dried? No.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once in the morning and a small pinch of flakes.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of water did you change? Anywhere between 25 to 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I dip out the water, but I'm currently looking for a vacuum.
What additives do you use? Aquarium salt and API Betta water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Unknown.

Symptoms and Treatment:
Most of these were answered in the beginning.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He acts the way he usually does; hides in plants, plays little games when I'm around, normal things.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? In case of the fin rot, I've still been using my salt.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You need to start changing his tank every other day 25% at a time. You can't get away with changing his tank water once a week with a 1.5 gal. Also, he's fin biting. None of your photos show any signs of fin rot. 88 degrees is a bit high even though they are tropical fish, we only raise tank temperatures when we have to kill certain parasites like velvet. You can keep him comfortably at 80 degrees.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been thinking about changing his water more often and I also had a friend suggest that he was fin biting. I didn't have time before to change it so often, but I think I will now since it's summer vacation for me. Also, at the moment, I have no control over the temperature. I don't know if it's because of where he's located in the room or what, but his tank always stays pretty high up there and I don't have the heater running at the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.