Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought it would happen. But it has happened. I'm in love. I wish I had another tank. I've never seen a more beautiful fish. He has such a unique color pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
Wow he is jaw dropping. Where did you get this gourguse fish? Please post more pictures of him.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately I did not buy him :( I have 3 betta tanks already and I physically cannot fit another tank in my NYC apartment. I'm so heartbroken since he is so gorgeous.

He is in NYC at the Union Square Petco on their back shelf by the sink in the aquatic section. I seriously considered taking money out of my savings account (which I do not allow myself to touch) to buy a tank, heater and filter for him for a good 20 minutes.

I'm hoping he goes to a good home where he will not end up in an unheated bowl.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try so hard not to look. I have two bettas for the longest time (with a spare 3 gallon kritter keeper as a QT tank) and the one day an EE caught my eye at petco and now I have Perry. I try to avoid the bettas at all costs but this one I couldn't ignore. I've never seen such beautiful coloring and I seriously wish I could afford space for another tank.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I feel your pain. I hate going to Petco because I always buy something. My bettas are like leaches to my savings account. There lucky that I think there worth every penny. This is why I teach my bettas to do cute little tricks because I love watching them do tricks when they're happy and healthy

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree. as much as I love that betta, I would never adopt a fish unless i could afford (or already had) the necessary equipment. I would love to save a million bettas, is it any better to bring them home to an environment that would only cause them harm? I don't think so.

When i went into petco, I could afford and had the space for one 1.5 gallon pet keeper, live plants, sand and a few snails. I do not think a 1.5 gallon tank is good enough for a betta since there would be no filter and a heater that would keep the pet keep at 78 at the most. that is why I did not buy the betta.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Maybe get a tank large enough to divide and replace a couple of your 2.5's, and move 2 or 3 of your current guys into that tank? You could then use one of the tanks left as a tank for this guy and retire the others

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
He's awesome Viv! Is he a king? I think I'm in love.
We should do a kickstarter just so you can get this fish!

NYC is 90 minutes away, I'll be there in 30.
My name is Mike, I solve problems.
Do you have any coffee? Lot's of cream, lot's of sugar...

Seriously, I think we should all start carrying Sharpie pens in our pockets and when we find these "ones that got away" and scrawl bettafish.com on the side of their cup. At least we would be giving them a chance.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its actually not the cost that is the problem. It is the space. There is not physical space my apartment for another tank or a tank larger than 5 gallons (and I wouldn't divide a 5 gallon). Basically I would have plenty of room but since my mother needs to use the apartment from to time for hospital visits (she's listed to get a double lung transplant). My parents had to buy a super large couch and pulls out into a bed to accommodate her and that plus my bed, plus the tables I already have pretty much take up all the space in my apartment.

When I move out, my plan is to get larger tanks and divide them since I'd be moving into a place when I have more control of the furniture.

ugh he is so pretty though.

Mike - he is not a king. I think my petco's cups are getting smaller....

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Its actually not the cost that is the problem. It is the space.

Mike - he is not a king. I think my petco's cups are getting smaller....
The kickstarter is to get you a bigger apartment so you can buy more fish:)

He's a little plakat? He's so cute! Ask him if he doesn't mind having a few snails for roommates.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh i think this plan :)

yet, just a little plakat. Ugh, i couldn't bring myself to put him in the 1.5 gallon tank. It has a preset heater and obviously isn't cycled.

Someday.....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
As sad as the reason for your post is Vivian, it is cute how everyone rallies together trying to help out (either trying to make you feel better about not being able to take him home or brainstorming how to make it happen).

Really feeling the love in this thread, and feeling brave enough to post this comment. :)
Wish you could get him!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:) yes I am loving the love in this thread as well. I'm wondering why a breeder would ever give such a unique fish up to Petco. If i were that breeder I would have help on to that one....

·
Registered
820 Posts
is your petco not having the dollar per gallon sale? you could divide a 10 gallon for the new fish and one of the old fish, and keep it on the kitchen counter. or a coffee table ect, even if the tank would be a bit out of place, theres always room for another tank ;)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't mean to be rude, but actually I do not have space for another tank.

I do not have a coffee table since there is not space for one in my apartment. My two of my betta tanks are on bedside tables and there is not space for another without blocking my closet. My third betta tank takes up more than half of my "desk/kitchen table/only real table in my apartment". I live in a one room apartment. meaning everything is in one room. For reference here is my "kitchen counter". So sorry but actually i do not have space for another tank.

unless you live in NYC, you have no idea what living in a shoebox actually means.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I wish I could send you bed-table width floor to ceiling shelves! That would make things easier space wise in general AND let you get more tanks! Sorry you had to pass that guy up in any case, he was beautiful.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ugh I wish you could too! I've been looking for super skinny wire shelving or some other type of system that can hold tank weight.

When i move out of here into an apartment with roommates, I'm planning on buying wire shelves for my tanks.

I am sad about him, he is so gorgeous. I'm just hoping that he got a nice home and is happy and not in some toddlers fish bowl.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but actually I do not have space for another tank.

I do not have a coffee table since there is not space for one in my apartment. My two of my betta tanks are on bedside tables and there is not space for another without blocking my closet. My third betta tank takes up more than half of my "desk/kitchen table/only real table in my apartment". I live in a one room apartment. meaning everything is in one room. For reference here is my "kitchen counter". So sorry but actually i do not have space for another tank.

unless you live in NYC, you have no idea what living in a shoebox actually means.
you're not being rude, i wasn't being completely serious though. thats why i put the winking face.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts