Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up this morning to some internal part of me screaming "Check your fish tank!"

I did, and at first nothing looked wrong, until I realised that hey, The water level looks a little low!

And everything underneath my tank, on and off the stand, is wet. The carpet, the wall, the stand, and all the fish supplies. And my laptop was very very close.

Could it have just been my filter splashing? Because I dried everything off with a towel and turned the filter off, and I'm not hearing anymore drips. The only thing is, I've had it set up for three days with no problems until now.

Someone please tell me it's just my filter and not my tank. I don't want to move Loki back to his one gallon little bowl.

Advice?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It could be a crack on the bottom of the tank. When I had a crack on the bottom of my tank, it would only leak so much.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Is the tank itself only 3 days old? If so, take it back to the store, tell them it's leaking! They will give you a refund or an exchange for a new tank and you'll be set~

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Check the cords . . . I had water on my floor, thought it was the tank & found out that water was running down the heater cord for some very very weird reason. Personally I would move your Betta until you figure out what the problem is. I came home one day after work & there was about an inch of water left in my 10g tank, my male Betta had been trapped for I don't even know how long.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't bring it back; it's second hand.

And it's the filter. The water is spilling over the back and onto the floor for some bloody reason. The water is getting cloudy, so I'm going to move Loki over to his one gallon for the night until I come up with a solution.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I readjusted the cartridge, and that seems to have done the trick.

Anyone else have this problem with the Tetra Whisper 10-30i?
YES!!! Omg it was horrible. My sister had a 10 gallon set up on her dresser a while ago with the Tetra 10-30i. She didn't put a towel or anything under the tank and she woke up one morning to a completely flooded dresser. The entire wood top is warped and still looks terrible. I recently tried to set up the same filter in a 10 gallon and the same thing was happening no matter what I tried. I tried moving the cartridge, cleaning the cartridge, adjusting the water level, adjusting the height of the filter... nothing! So not worth all the trouble it causes :roll:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Use some sponge, placed between the glass and the bottom of the filter body, to angle the filter so that it is higher in the back than in the front. Water should Overflow out over the intake strainer when the media gets clogged rather than out the back. Not an uncommon "problem".

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is what happened: The filter is attached to the tank using a suction cup on the bottom and a hook on top. As the water bubble up in the filter, it would spill onto the hook and drip down over the back onto the floor. It must have been doing it all night, because a good inch of water was gone.

Luckily, the filter came with an extra suction cup, so I just took off the hook and attached the suction cup. Now there's a gap between the filter and the side of the tank, and the water just drips back into the tank.

I've never used anything other than a HOB filter. What are the other options?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've come to really want a sponge filter, myself. There's also canister and internal filters. I like the concept of sponge filters because they're inexpensive, can be DIY, and take up very little space in the tank.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Sponge filters (internals in general) take up the most space in a tank, of the three different types. That's one of the benefits of HOBs and canisters - frees up space in the tank, which is limited enough as it is with these small tanks. Considering the cost of the air pump as well, since that's the integral part of the sponge filter, they aren't really that inexpensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts