Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new petshop betta on the weekend as I couldn't bare to leave him behind to deteriorate since he still looked healthy and I had been wanting another betta. I went out and bought a 20L tank (5.2 gallons) although I did have a small 3L tank at home I thought it was cruel to keep him in there and now I just use this for when I do water changes. So obviously the new tank hasn't cycled and I've already put him in there, I also did this with my other betta Bill and he was fine.

I've put ammolock in the tank (makes ammonia non toxic) and a stress coat/tap conditioner (http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk...d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/3/237ml_stress_coat.jpg), stability (apparently makes the tank cycle faster http://www.coxwellaquatics.co.uk/ekmps/shops/coxwellaquatic/images/seachem-stability-50ml-1751-p.jpg) as well as an IAL and heaps of silk plants, his tank temp is at about 23 degrees Celsius (73.4F)

Is there anything I can do other than hope and pray he wont die during the cycle? I know I've made a mistake of not letting the tank cycle, I just want to know now if there is anything I can do.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Does the new tank have a filter, and do you have a filtered tank running that is cycled?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is a filter in the tank :) and I believe the other tank I have is cycled, Bill has been in it for about 3-4 months now, but Bill is being treated with Melafix for a patch on his side I believe he got when I added AQ salt to his tank undissolved (I'm pretty new to bettas, but I've had Bill for 6-7 months now no problems)

So I am a bit wary of adding the new fish to his tank, in case he catches a bacterial infection or something of the like, I also don't have a devider to do this so I thought I could add some of Bills water to Bens tank but then I am back with the problem of would it be safe to do this since I am treating for the infection on his side - which has certainly started to heal and look much much better in just a week, but from this his immune system is down and he has saprolegnia, (although I haven't seen any fuzz for a couple of days he does have a pin hole) he has gotten a light infection in his fin spines and the fungus has taken advantage, eating the dead tissue.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
the BB doesn't really live in the water column, this is why you seed a new aquarium with a cycled tanks filter media, not just use the water from a cycled tank.:)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I didn't cycle any tanks Bill has been in, so when I first got him he went straight into the 3L tank and then I saw a 20L tank for $20 bucks, glass, came with rocks, filter, plant and fish net and I was like I need this for Bill he will love it and me so much, so I got it, cleaned everything, set it up and put him in simply with only tap conditioner. So compared to Bill this new fish has ammolock, stabilizer and an IAL which is way more than Bill ever had so I am honestly hoping for the best, my straight tap water fluctuates some days there is 0 ammonia other days it's getting to about .25 but I tested the tanks ammonia and it was 0 so I was happy about that and added ammolock anyway just in case.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea what you mean by "seed a new aquarium with a cycled tanks filter media"
:/ sorry, do you mind explaining to me? :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
The tank does not cycle, the filter media does. A mature colony of nitrifying bacteria is capable of doubling every 24 hours. Take about 1/3 of the media from a mature tank, add it to the new filter, pretty much an instant cycle, within reason depending on the stocking of the donor tank & new tank.

Feed both tanks lightly for a week, less food means less waste produced. Until you get familiar with cloning tanks daily water tests will keep your mind at ease, and direct your water changing procedures, if needed. Half of keeping healthy fish is keeping healthy bacteria.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gosh, I am feeling a bit better already :)

I mean Bill my first fish is fine! other than the patch on his side which I feel is healing up and I had a lady who owns a community tank and I think 2 or 3 other betta tanks as well as a salt water tank and a few others (she has nemo fishes!!! clown fish, so cute) she also feels like his patch his healing because other than that he swims around, chases my finger, loves eating his blood worms, I put a new silk plant into his tank yesterday and he was straight into it investigating it which was cute! at least I thought it was lol, he flares and just the other night I found out he loves to watch kids cartoons which was also terribly cute to me lol :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so 25% or 50% water changes daily for the new tank?? I'm thinking I might feed him blood worms as someone told me they are good for extra protein so I'm thinking that might make him strong and healthy, since he is really tiny compared to my big boy Bill so I'm thinking he won't take the nitrite and nitrates cycle very well being so young

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol! no that's okay :) :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yes I did a PWC (partial water change) every 1-2 days when my 5 gal was cycling, but if you were to get an API fresh water master test kit, you'd know when you have to Change it instead of guessing. The test kit is about 25$ and its well worth it!

edit: I'm not sure what they carry as far as test kits in Australia, I just noticed thatxD lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's okay! lol :)
I think I did see that test kit at the pet store they were asking like $60 for it :S lol I'll do the frequent water changes as I wont be able to get to the pet store now until the weekend, as I work full time and by the time I finish the pet stores are due to close about half an hour after that and it'd take me that long to get there :/ so inconvenient.
But I'll get a nitrite and nitrate test kit on the weekend :) I have a PH and ammonia one I don't know why but I just thought if the ammonia was good I'd be okay :S

·
Registered
951 Posts
Feed light the 1st several days to a week, food is a stressor. Netted, bagged, driven around town & tossed in different surroundings is stressful enough, you don't want to add more. As mentioned, feeding heavy isn't going to help with water quality in a potential cycling situation. Protein heavy is not the way to start.

You got in one fish, I got in 300-400 angels & 100 plecs today. It's all knowing how bacteria reproduce & how products like Prime work. Adding 100 angels to a tank that had 8 is standard operating procedure around here, I'm sure not going to steer you wrong with 1 fish! Transfer some media, feed both tank lightly for a week, you'll be good to go. Test & change water as indicated by the tests. I don't even test, I just change water, but you don't want to get into what I'm into, it'll ruin your life. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lol, it's a few, I've maxxed out in the 600-700 range with angels coming in, but I'm set up for dealing with that. I've backed off on the angel breeding a bit, there's a few things I'd like to accomplish with my club in the upcoming year. The first 4-6 weeks are the toughest with angel fry, I was pretty empty, buddy who is a breeder is swamped. Cut me a deal, I'll help you out, plenty of upcoming events to sell them at.

The same principles with bacteria apply, doesn't matter if it's cloning a single betta tank off another single betta tank, or loading 100's of fish into 40's & 150 gallon tubs. Bacteria don't know, they suck at math.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, that is a lot of fish! My mum use to have angel fish, tetras and I think we had 3 shark fish, the shark fish ate the angel fish and tetras :/ mum woke up one morning and the tank was near empty! it was pretty gruesome lol

I'll feed light then, I do know Bill loves his blood worms so I might continue to give him some since it should help him with his healing and he's in his own little tank all good. Ben will have to miss out this time lol

When you say transfer some media we are talking about water right? or wrong? I'm not very up with fish slang and speak, which is embarrassing lol I feel like an old person trying to work out facebook -.-

·
Registered
225 Posts
They mean media out of your filter. Whatever your filter has in it is what your bb(beneficial bacteria) live on. Media can be a bunch of different things but most commonly it's sponge material. Take 1/3 portion of that sponge (cut it if you have to) & put it in your new filter along with whatever media is in your new filter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts