Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had Poseidon for about a week now, and his eating habits are puzzling me. The first night he ate his pellets fine, but since then he hasn't. When I drop them in the tank he takes them and and then spits them out. He repeats this until the pellet sinks to the bottom where he leaves it. I've tried soaking the pellets to make them softer, but then he either ignores them or picks at them until they break apart.

This morning I saw him eating what must have been a pellet at some point (must have missed it when scooping out his uneaten food) but was then no more than soggy shreds. Apparently he likes his food to decompose for a day or two before it is palatable.

I know I'm not supposed to let food sit uneaten in the water, but he won't eat unless I do. :-? He won't even eat bloodworms, just spits them out.

Does anyone know any tricks to get their fish to eat?

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
It usually takes bettas awhile to settle into their new homes and it's normal for them to not eat at first. He should settle down after awhile. Bettas can be very picky eaters and you may have to change to a different pellet.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Is it possible for bettas to prefer flake foods over pellets? You could try betta flakes for him, or another brand of pellet.
If you recently got him, though, he's probably still adjusting to his new home.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's strange though, because he ate the first day. How long can they go without food? Also he's been making bubble nests and stuff, and isn't that a sign that he's adjusted to his new home?

I just tried soaking a pellet for 30 mins. It was literally falling apart. He still wouldn't keep it down, just spat it back up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah I've had mine for 2 weeks and he just spits back the pellets but he gobbles up this tropical medley flake food i also got.

·
Registered
434 Posts
All of my boys and gals refuse pellets whenever I offer. But they just gobble down flakes like there's no tomorrow. I think different fish have different tastes. You just have to find his. Also, he could still be adjusting to his new home. Give him time. Betta's can go a long time without eating a whole lot. You have time to work with him. Good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
InsideTheBurg, I like your avatar!!
Thank you, dramaqueen! I saw them line up and just snapped the pic, I didn't even aim, I just knew I couldn't miss the opportunity. I posted more pics in the pictures section. "Tank of dreams Ver 1.0"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts