Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still waiting for the perfect HMPK to come along in my life :)

Until then, I will be planning his tank!

I really want to go with an iwagumi layout, but I am worried there won't be enough hiding places for the betta to feel comfortable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Well I was thinking the same style just that you should maybe at some grass-like plants so he may have a hiding spots honestly my fish are okay being in the open now.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was thinking the same style just that you should maybe at some grass-like plants so he may have a hiding spots honestly my fish are okay being in the open now.
Hmm yeah. I mean I only wonder just because my current betta is not shy and he is out in the open a lot, but he likes to sleep in the heavily planted area of the tank :)

It will probably be fine if you could get some floating plants. Or have some giant hairgrass so it can find in something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I don't really want any floating plants or giant hairgrass -- mostly low lying plants but hmmm

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Perhaps if you do the Iwagumi style up front and in the back let some dwarf haigrass be nice and tall. Or, I was trying to do this before but didn't have CO2 at that point, you could do most of it Iwagumi style and then a teeny forrest in the back corner of the tank with some fine leaf plant to make it seem like it's more off in the distance since that's most of the point with Iwagumi; depth and realistic hill type scape ^_^

I was thinking some decorative Rotala, a nice red one perhaps to contrast. Or actually, Pogostemon Erectus would look really nice too

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Maybe you could use the rocks to make safe little grottos throughout the tank for the betta to hide in or use the natural roll and rocks to create a hiding place somewhere within so that it is beautiful for you and functional for the fish C:

·
Registered
55 Posts
So the way I did mine was I made the back lower than the front. I sloped it back right at the middle of the tank. He can hide behind the main center rock, and has also started hanging out in the wisteria as well which runs along the back. Give me a bit and I will get pictures up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks! I actually pulled these rocks from a little known rock slide area on Prince of Whales island in Alaska. My uncle took us to this spot when we were on a hunting trip. The rocks all have fossils of different kind of clams in them. I will try to take a better picture showing the rocks if you want. They are kinda cool... Having this tank makes packing these damn things around for all these years worth it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps if you do the Iwagumi style up front and in the back let some dwarf haigrass be nice and tall. Or, I was trying to do this before but didn't have CO2 at that point, you could do most of it Iwagumi style and then a teeny forrest in the back corner of the tank with some fine leaf plant to make it seem like it's more off in the distance since that's most of the point with Iwagumi; depth and realistic hill type scape ^_^

I was thinking some decorative Rotala, a nice red one perhaps to contrast. Or actually, Pogostemon Erectus would look really nice too
Hmm yeah that could work. Maybe I will put some tall dwarf hairgrass... I don't really want to do a full CO2 system... Do you think liquid carbon will be enough to make the tank lush?

Maybe you could use the rocks to make safe little grottos throughout the tank for the betta to hide in or use the natural roll and rocks to create a hiding place somewhere within so that it is beautiful for you and functional for the fish C:
Yeah I was thinking of maybe putting in a terracotta pot, covering it in gravel + rocks and having the pot opening face the back of the tank. I don't know if this would work though.. I could use manten stones to build up from there but I would be terrified of the pot breaking or something lol.

So the way I did mine was I made the back lower than the front. I sloped it back right at the middle of the tank. He can hide behind the main center rock, and has also started hanging out in the wisteria as well which runs along the back. Give me a bit and I will get pictures up.
That's a good idea! Thanks for the tip :) And that is a great looking piece of stone!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I started the layout for the tank.

I was thinking of just dwarf hairgrass all over... Any other suggestions?

Critique welcome on the hardscape layout too :)

This particular guy is not shy at all so I don't think he would be stressed living in this tank, even without many places to hide.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
If your going to use co2 I would recommend some staurogyne repents their pretty and like lots of lighting and co2 they don't need it but it would be great to have co2!!!

And it looks very very beautiful. ;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
With co2; hairgrass, dwarf baby tears, or the staurogyne repens.

With out co2; pygmy chain swords, crypt parva, dwarf sag, java moss, sp japan or christmass tree moss.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
674 Posts
I highly recommend pressurized CO2 and med/high light for Iwagumi set ups. Other thing dwarf hair grass loves is flow. I don't care what any one says, every single professional aquascape has awesome flow. Why you might ask, because flow can distribute CO2 every where in a tank, even the dead spots. Trimming also plays a big part. Trimming it makes it thick. Other thing that helps is getting loads of it and planting it every where. If you get it in bundles and break it in to small groups also helps. Plant it like a 5 sided dice 1 inch a part from each other.

Giant hair grass all in the back with dwarf hair grass up front sounds pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ya almost every plant likes flow. A lot of people especially here say that plants dont like flow, i dont know why. But with the dwarf hairgrass, like tony said for the co2 thing. It will also help prevent algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ya almost every plant likes flow. A lot of people especially here say that plants dont like flow, i dont know why.
Where have you seen that suggested? I've never seen anyone actually say that. Betta's don't like flow, that is certainly said but never about the plants...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Actually quite a bit of people said it to me in the past, when i made a couple threads on my planted discus tank people said it. I dont know if those people are still around, but it was said.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.