Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!

My fish have been doing really well the past year or so. My blue half moon, I believe, bounced back from fin rot about a year ago now and he was doing amazing!!

Unfortunately, he now has Popeye. I read this could be a bacterial infection or something caused by trauma. I test my water and I know it’s safe and his tank doesn’t have anything dangerously pointy. He is in a planted tank with soil and a rock cave and drift wood log. He also has a black mystery snail friend.

I read I could use a bacterial medicine so I used what I used for his fin rot, Artemus from Petro. I did the prescribed time frame and there was no improvements.

He has a hard time swimming due to this, he’s very floppy and just like bobs around and twists and turns, I feel so bad for him. I have to put his food right in front of him so he can eat it. He has a huge appetite despite all this.

I wanted to know what you guys recommend I do. I want to treat him again sooner than later as I don’t want this to get worse.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Housing: How many gallons is your tank? 5g Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 Farenheit Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes a black mystery snail
Food: What food brand do you use? Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes the worms only not the pellets
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 pellets a day and one blood worm but since Jacques doesn’t swim to the top anymore I’ve just been giving him the pellets.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Bottled Distilled Water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I really can’t vacuum cause I have a planted tank so I’d be ripping out all my soil but I do suck out any waist or dead plant debris I see off the bottom.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? N/A
Water Parameters: What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.
Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: lower than 5ppm pH: 7.5
Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bulging eye
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Floppy and doesn’t swim well anymore
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, big appetite but doesn’t come to the top anymore
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? - I tried artemus as I have this on hand
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Fin rot last year
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tested the water again. Here the results. Hope you guys can help out. His eye is super swollen today. Just fed him. He’s searching for his pellets right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The PH may be a little low?
Poor boy doesn't look too good!
I am treating my girl, Flitter, with Bettafix for popeye and today is day 3, I'll let you know if it helps her.
Good luck :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The PH may be a little low?
Poor boy doesn't look too good!
I am treating my girl, Flitter, with Bettafix for popeye and today is day 3, I'll let you know if it helps her.
Good luck :(

Thanks so much. I’m not sure what to try. I read to add salt. I don’t want to do a 100% water change either unless I have to so I’m just waiting for more input so I hope I get more soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks so much. I’m not sure what to try. I read to add salt. I don’t want to do a 100% water change either unless I have to so I’m just waiting for more input so I hope I get more soon.
No problem, I hope our betta's can hang in there.
I put my girl in a 1 gallon heated hospital tank since she's not too active right now and I also added some aquarium salt on day 1.
I hope you get more input!!

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Hi, well, hope we can help out a bit.

For a level of popeye like that, I would recommend a complete clean of his tank followed by some antibiotics.
Try to get hold of Kanaplex, it's one of the better antibiotics out there and treat him with it. His tank also needs a good cleaning, you could use some airline tubing to siphon the tank while using a chopstick to stir up the gravel to make sure to get all of the debris out of the tank. For a quicker setup, you can see if you can get him into a quarantine tank. A small 2 gallon or so tupperware container makes a suitable temporary quarantine, just make sure it's new and clean it with some hot water.

Now, if he's been living in distilled water his entire life, he probably has some other issues going on. Distilled water is not suitable for them due to not only the lack of minerals and the neurological issues it can cause from poor osmoregulation. You want to re-mineralize any distilled water with a product like Seachem Equilibrium before using it for fish.

That said, clean, warm, re-mineralized water and some Kanaplex could help him out. I would love to see him make it through this, but if he's been living in distilled water for 2 years this complicates matters a little. A good sign is that he still has an appetite.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am treating my girl, Flitter, with Bettafix

The only thing Bettafix fixes is the manufacturers bank ballance, not used correctly Bettafix can kill a fish.

Just for the record, Any product with " fix " in its name is a waste of money IMO

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am treating my girl, Flitter, with Bettafix

The only thing Bettafix fixes is the manufacturers bank ballance, not used correctly Bettafix can kill a fish.

Just for the record, Any product with " fix " in its name is a waste of money IMO
I have never had much hope in bettafix but I did a lot of reading and it did help some fish with popeye so that's why i decided to give it a shot. Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
Really hope your boy improves. I've never dealt with popeye so I cannot offer any help. But I did want to alleviate any concerns you might not have done the right thing by using Bettafix.

Bettafix is not a bad treatment for mild problems; nor are any of the other "fix" meds. But once something advances, it is akin to giving an aspirin to someone with a migraine. And, like all overdosed meds, yes, it can kill.

Here's something you might find interesting.
https://www.fish-as-pets.com/2008/12/melafix-dangers-labyrinth-fish.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts