1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I've been using 18oz clear plastic SOLO cups to separate my fish. They require daily cleanings but are decent sized and very clear. If a fish gets sick I can just toss the cup and grab a new one. I get them for about $6 per 100.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Back when I separated my males-I used pint and quart canning jars-I always added a plant sprig and water lettuce-along with daily water changes....using pre-tanned water....

When growing out males I found that small containers with lots of water changes is what help to get the nice long fins....along with good nutrition...

Unless your fish room is heated you also need to think about how you are going to maintain the water temp too.

Your link didn't bring up the item-just the web-site....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I use the clear 1 quart square plastic container sold at Walmart for $1.35 each. They require daily cleaning but are roomy for single males until they get their forever home.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I use a ceramic element space heater to heat my room. I no longer use heaters in any tanks :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a ceramic element space heater to heat my room. I no longer use heaters in any tanks :)
Thanks will have a look around, do they run on batteries, solar or mains?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Those would work, however, I like something a bit deeper so that the fins don't drag too much since this can make them tatter-at least 5-7 inch tall containers is what I like to use....

To heat-you can use a large tub of water with a heater and set each cupped Betta in it......you also need to make sure they can't see each other all the time-its good for them to see each other for a short time a couple of times a day-but not all the time......I usually grow my males out in 76-78F water temps.

And yes, 100% daily water changes for cupped males growing out.

Also, good nutrition is really important-good quality varied diet in small frequent meals.
You want to get good body growth before the fins....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
OOO!! thanks for making this thread! It's the one thing I wasn't 100 percent on. **Stalking

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't have personal experience with this myself, but breeders in Japan use 2 liter soft drink bottles. Cut the top part off where it starts to become narrow toward the lid, use a lighter to melt it a tiny bit around the cut edge so it is not sharp... And you are set to go.

You can put well over a liter in and the top is still too far away for jumping. They are also "free" and can be trashed if a fish is sick or dies.

They are shaped to be packed with the least space while being sturdy and holding the most liquid. The breeder I bought my pair from lines them up in a water filled styrofoam box with a heater in the middle to keep them all the same temp.

I have been saving and prepping all of mine to get ready for breeding. :-D

--- Just looked and it seems like the 2 liter bottles in the US are much weaker and flimsier than the ones we have in Japan. :-(

ETA: Pic of juvenile betta growing out in a bottle...
http://art2.photozou.jp/bin/photo/9668541/org.v1335041825.bin?download=yes

·
Registered
639 Posts
I use the clear 1 quart square plastic container sold at Walmart for $1.35 each. They require daily cleaning but are roomy for single males until they get their forever home.
I also get the walmart square plastic jars, but the one gallon size! About $2.98? Good for two cleanings a week! A real clear plastic and easy to see through. They are larger and require more room. I have converted my basement bathroom into a heated fish room so heating is not an issue. If I really make some kind of success at this I may make a real dedicated fish room.

I don't use seperators...

Jeff.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sorry to distract from the original post, but I was thinking of buying one of these and filling it with water, and then putting clean tupperware containers in it for male housing when I breed this summer. I saw one in person and it looked like it could fit about 4-5 containers. What do you think?

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
I use your standard Ball quart canning jar that you can get most anywhere. Lots of cleaning. Hope to someday have a barrack setup to replace it though.

I currently heat my jars with some under tank heat pads from my reptile days. I'm using them in conjunction with a thermostat that is designed to work with them, and keeping a close watch with my infared temp gun and adjusting it as needed. Mostly i don't need to adjust it much other than when the temp went from 50 to 80 overnight.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
i saved my boys adoption jars so when i clean the tank thats where i put them

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes thats what I thought, but I thought I should check anyway, thanks :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
that tiny hole would be a no-go for me. The only way to get the betta back out would be dumping it, and then it might not come out with the water, and disaster.

Not to mention if you do need to clean it, there's no way to get anything in there to clean it.
Tiny hole? Huh? what?.....

What container is that?

Jeff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.