Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i buy a patch of java moss, will it spread out and grow, or do i need to buy enough moss to completely carpet the tank?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think that you can get a couple patches and it will spread. I bet if you buy more though the bottom of the tank will be filled more quickly. Mine died sadly so I don't know much about it.. but Im almost positive it spreads!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Java moss isn't a great carpet plant, I think. It does grow up and very stringy, and looks best in a ball left floating on the bottom or maybe anchored to some wood.

If you want a good carpet plant, get some dwarf hairgrass or dwarf baby's tears - just make sure your lights will support plant growth and have enough wattage to reach the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Mine is kinda in a ball on the bottom. I was going to tie it to something but I got lazy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
here's what my java moss "carpet" looked like

it was tied to a clay rectangle plate. it filled in after about 4-6 months and looked decent. it went out of control after a year or two, which is why i don't have it anymore

try to find a fuller kind of moss. xmas moss or taiwan or pheonix moss will grow more dense in my opinion

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
GEES, what have I done to mine? My java moss is near dead. Gotta get me some.

Jack what size is your shrimp tank. I like the layout, and love the driftwood.

I need to actually create a dedicated shrimp tank. I miss seeing those little farming critters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts