Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up our 5 Otos today and they are acclimating to the water now. I've left Scarlett in the tank so she can see them and see how the reacts to them in their bag.
In a minute I'm going to remove Scarlett from the tank and add the Otos. I'm going to give them time to get used to the tank and all that's in it. After awhile I'll reintroduce Scarlett to the tank. At that point I will be watching closely.
Wish me luck and I'll keep you updated (good and bad) on how it goes. Let's hope she doesn't mind these little guys.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they are being really active! I didn't think they were THAT active. I hope they chill out soon, because I don't know how she'll take them swimming about like that.
On another note, I'm loving watching them swim around, they are so neat!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I'm acclimating Scarlett to the tank now. She seems them and is trying to swim towards them (with no avail since she is in a cup!)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is now in the tank with them. So far she has noticed them and has gone right up to them, looked, and swam away. Is this normal behavior? Does this mean she will probably be okay with them?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww thats so cute. I saw a bunch of little bitty cory cats I wanted earlier. They were so cute and active.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where they pygmy cories? Those are pretty cute.
I saw some peppered Cories at the pet store today. They were neat!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
No I think they were peppered. I wasn't sure, it just said cory cats. But they were adorable. And they had some like one inch neon tetras that I wanted really bad too.

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
I haven't seen otos before but I like cories. If I was ever going to keep other fish, I'd like to have cories. Or maybe otos, now! lol

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just read up on Otos again. It seems they are hard to care for (which I haven't read until now even after doing research). I guess we'll see. I guess Cories are hardier? I don't know. Four of them are doing great, however, one is a loner and isn't as vibrantly colored as the others. I'm wondering if this little guy is on his way out. :(
We really didn't get to choose the Otos, he just grabbed what he could.
Whenever they are on the side of the tank and get close to the top Scarlett goes near them and keeps looking up. It's as if she thinks they are going up for food and she is up there waiting on me to drop food in for her too. Haha!
I'm very proud of how well she is doing with them. I fed her while they were in there just to let her know she's still going to be fed!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me too. They really liven up the such a big tank with only one little girl. I cannot stop watching them all! :p

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I heard ottos were easy. Hm IDK

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was just one website I went to that said they were harder. I don't know, so far they are doing fine.
I think I'm going to get a veggie clip and some cucumber (what a lot of people have used) and feed them that along with the wafers.
Should be interesting!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Cool! What i read was that,the way they are caught in the wild makes it difficult to acclimate. If they appear chubby they have been eating well. The skinny ones tend to not make it. The first couple weeks are the key. If they make it that long,they will be around awhile. I read up on them too lol.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw many fat Otos in the tank, so I felt comfortable getting them. As I said before though, we didn't get to pick which ones we wanted. (I would have, but the guy working there was being a jerk).

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I saw many fat Otos in the tank, so I felt comfortable getting them. As I said before though, we didn't get to pick which ones we wanted. (I would have, but the guy working there was being a jerk).

All the pet/fosh stores here let us choose. Except walmart (jerks either way).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts