Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Well as my imput for the male, I wouldn't breed him. His dorsal doesn't look right. It looks like its going at a slant when it's supposed to be like a round circle. As for the caudal, he is a rose tail and for one I don't breed rose tails because of how many excessive rays they produce. As for his anal fin, it's too long. You don't want the anal to be so long because about 75-80% of them will have anal fins that are too long.

If you're looking for a pair, I'd suggest you get them from a breeder who has a great history of quality fish or look at importing bettas. It can definitely be more expensive but worth it. Breeding fish like the male you posted will give you too much burden to handle and way too many flaws to fix.

I would suggest a different breeder than Chard for better quality bettas.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Chard has some good fish, just like every other breeder can't get perfect fish every time. It depends if your looking to just start breeding or if you've been breeding a long time. If your just going to start then yeah 15 bucks for a fish with a few flaws to practice with is fine. If you've been breeding a while then its purely up to you. If he has the colors you want you find a female to counteract the fins.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
That male looks.... weird. Not something I'd breed.

Chard, though has produced some pretty fish in the past, and recently some nice bettas, his fish are still pet store fish quality as far as I know. I don't believe he's ever outcrossed into something quality. No offense to Chard.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
imo, if you're going to breed, strive for the best you possibly can from the start. that's one thing i've learned from talking with breeders like Mr. V....

US breeders Martinismommy and Bettascapes always have pretty fish. yeah, with Martinismommy you'll pay a pretty penny, but it's worth it. she always has beautiful bettas, and if i'm not mistaken they often win shows. :V

another thing, i don't think you should go for whatever cheap betta you can find to 'practice' with. if you're going to breed, then breed. there is no 'practice'. if that was the case, i'd have 'practiced' with what i have now, which is mostly beautiful, unique pet store bettas. most expensive out of them is my $5 walmart male, King Steve the blue crowntail. :I

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I wasn't trying to diss chard or anything, but he does breed pet store fish and look at his fish. They look like pet store fish. The breeder might as well buy fish from pet stores. They are going to be overpaying for nothing. Yes his fish can be nice sometimes, but not breeding quality IMO.

And "practice" shouldn't really be used because breeding bettas is not a game.

Chard has some good fish, just like every other breeder can't get perfect fish every time. It depends if your looking to just start breeding or if you've been breeding a long time. If your just going to start then yeah 15 bucks for a fish with a few flaws to practice with is fine. If you've been breeding a while then its purely up to you. If he has the colors you want you find a female to counteract the fins.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ya im not a fan of chards fish, I ordered one once, and it had fin rot and a tumor, and died a month later...just my personal experience, he has had lots of happy customers if you look at his feedback

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Most AB bettas arent very nice IMO. Very few catch my eye.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
That would be much better for the people looking for actual quality fish rather than the average "He/She looks so pretty, so he/she must be nice quality."

·
Super Moderator
6,154 Posts
He isn't show quality but a good specimen non the less.
His main problem is excessive branching but very small/narrow webbing, making his fins curl like that. Further his dorsal is leaning back when it should lean forward.
But he does have good general body form. He has balanced fins sizes and I love his ventral - wide blade shape.

If you do work with such a form - do not breed to a sibling. Get a female with less ray but wide webbing. Try to work on making the fins straight and firm. Then cross to a double tail with long front ray dorsal.

It's more work but you can get good offspring from him. If there is something better, I suggest buying a different fish and get your moneys worth.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,
here are the 2 I decided on
http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwbettashm1338916977.jpg

http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwbettashm1339040148.jpg
Also getting females for both.
They are what I am looking for,I try to get nice HMs that you can not find around here,believe me the ones here at Petco,Petsmart,Walmart,and the 1 petstore that carries Bettas have really crappy Bettas!!!!
I belong to an Aquarium Society and there are very few Bettas at the auctions,and the ones that are there aren't all that great,don't know why.
There were only 2 at our Spring Auction,so with these and the ones i already have I can take some decent ones to our auctions.
I also rent a table at our local Flea-Market(when the weather is nice)and sell them there.
I have a CT spawn ready to go in a few months.
So,let me know about these 2,I did not post pics of the females because I don't have any.
I also got a couple of nice females last week from BasementBettas,Hms.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I like em. Good symmetry and body on both. Rough edges but that can be cleaned up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts