Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined because I have something odd that happened to my Female Betta. We got home from Church and found she had jumped her tank. We assumed she was dead, but when we went to pick her up, she started flipping around. We put her back immediately into a still-water vase, since the bigger tank with the current might cause her more strain. I watched her for a while, and when we woke up and checked on her Monday morning, she was perfectly fine.

She was eating food and swimming as happily as before, and still does. Only, now, her scales and fins have kind of bleached themselves white. Before she jumped, she was a lovely teal-blue color, but now, she looks like a ghost! Anyone have any experience or explanation for what happened?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Hi! What you are seeing is her slime coat. After being exposed to air I’m sure it suffered damage. Same thing happened to my boy who jumped his tank. He was out and exposed for hours. Good thing they have that extra organ to breath air. If her fins dried out at all expect some fin lose as well but don’t freak out your female will heal quickly. 25% water change every day while her slime coat sheds and she will be back to awesome. I lowered my water level in that tank about an inch almost two inches and covered all the holes in the lid. The hole my guy jumped from was about a 1 inch gap no joke.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
If you don’t have an extra heater for her “hospital vase” you could always float her in the community tank in a plastic container, and keep an eye on her. If her pale color isn’t her slime coat shedding off then come back and post in the emergency section.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts