Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my betta fish is in a tank inside my room and I didn't put a lid on him (I've had two bettas before and they never needed a lid, I should have known better) half an hour ago I returned to my room and he was out of the water on the floor :cry: I immediately put him back in but he fell a really long distance for a betta since he is on a counter that is somewhat high. He seems kind of sad right now I let him be for a bit and I recently fed him 3 pre-soaked pellets, he ate just fine but he seems down, he also has this white mark on his head which I think is a kind of bruise he got while falling? Is he injured? What can I do? I am so worried T T

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I would turn the lights off and throw a towel over his aquarium. You can use plastic wrap or craft mesh at a cover. When I used plastic wrap I didn't put holes in it because it was open around the filter and heater.

I've never had one jump out of my open tanks but several people have reported no long lasting damage. Good luck to you and your boy.

And congratulations on your Five Year Anniversary! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
From personal experience, putting a towel over the tank is a bad idea if you were planning on doing that. I had a towel over mine once to keep my cat away from it. It overheated my fish because the towel trapped in all the heat and killed all my fish in a 30 gallon tank. When you put a lid on it, just make sure there's a hole for air to get in. :) My fish jumped out of water too when I was cleaning his tank. He only lived another month though, I'm not sure if that's because he flipped out of his water cup and couldn't breathe for who knows how long or for other reasons. He's probably recovering from mostly suffocation and not from the fall. I would just leave him alone and let him recover. There's not much else you can do. Good luck, I hope your fishie has a safe recovery!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
From personal experience, putting a towel over the tank is a bad idea if you were planning on doing that. I had a towel over mine once to keep my cat away from it. It overheated my fish because the towel trapped in all the heat and killed all my fish in a 30 gallon tank.
That shouldn't happen with an adjustable heater unless the heater is wonky.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Thanks to everyone that replied, my fishy seems to have taken what I hope is a nap at the top of his tank he recently woke up and is swimming just fine I will keep on monitoring him
That's wonderful to hear. Keep us posted on how he does.

I have open tanks but lots of floating plants as top cover. In the winter I use glass canopies because the woodstove heat evaporates the water at an incredible rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today the fishy seems more lively, he even made a bubble nest overnight :) he ate fine in the morning but just now he chewed on one of his pellets (they are always pre-soaked) and then spat it out in pieces :/ he had never done this before, he ate the others just fine though.

Also anyone have any comment regarding the white mark on his face? He certainly didn't have it before the fall...is it a bruise?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.