Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this is my first time posting. I've kept many betta's in the past. I don't claim to be an expert but this isn't my first time around if you know what I mean.

I got another new betta a little over 2 days ago. He is an elephant ear plakat. He looks healthy (beyond that fact the store did a great job of over feeding him but Im taking care of that). He's in a 3 gallon cycled tank with a heater. The tank it at 80 degrees and had a full lid with lots of holes.

I noticed today that he is jumping around at the surface of that water. I know bettas are jumpers but I haven't had a betta yet that jumped this much. Beyond the jumping he is acting fairly normal (he is a bit shy but I'm assuming its from being a new home since most of my bettas have acted this way when I first got them)

Is jumping this much normal? There's no way for him to jump out of the tank so Im not concerned about that.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't think a lot do it, but I do have a female who is fascinated by the lid, and is always attacking water droplets, or imaginary bugs on it. Even if you don't have much condensation, just the outline of a dried water spot can look like a tasty treat worth investigating. It's just natural predator instinct :)

I couldn't help myself once, and stuck a couple of moistened pellets on the lid. She made short work of them, haha.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awe thats very cute.

I think that he just scared. He's for sure the most shy and skittish betta I've had. He was a bit of a rescue since he was in terrible conditions at the petco that I got him at.

Im going to test his water tomorrow (i ran out of the liquid test kit stuff and its too late to go get it now) just to be safe.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, if he isn't "aiming", or wiggling looking up before he jumps, he's probably in a mild panic mode, since you say he's skittish. I imagine the jumping will all but disappear once he's feeling he's in a real home.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it doesn't seem like he's aiming (my female will aim and jump at my finger with i go to feed her) so yeah it might that he's just scared.
still gonna test the water to be safe.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I believe plakats are better jumpers, they don't have as much drag XD

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard that plakat are more aggressive so maybe it has something to do with that. I just fed him and he seemed to calm down so maybe he was just hungry? lol

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
They're always hungry XD

I think it's up to the individual fish, but they're definitely more active from what I've heard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts